hypoglycemia

MellissaAnn
on 4/16/13 2:10 am - barrie, Canada

I had type two diabetes before having my surgery almost a year ago but since 2 months post op my blood sugar levels have ranged anywhere between 5.5 to 7.8 which is the "normal" range but for the past 5 days I have had at least one low blood sugar a day and my blood sugar levels are in the 4.0 to 4.5 range which is the low side of normal, I was wondering what all of a sudden could be causing it and what can I do to fix it?

birdiegirl
on 4/16/13 2:34 am

Are you eating anything different?....how is your sugar consumption?

I can manage the hypoglycemia well if I really watch what I eat.....but I have had the odd occasion it comes at me from nowhere.....

I cant eat too many carbs without enough protein to counterbalance....and if I have some candy....look out.....

I would keep an eye on it and talk to your wls centre when you are in for your one year appointment

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/16/13 2:52 am - Windsor, Canada

Are you eating frequently enough?  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

MellissaAnn
on 4/16/13 3:40 am - barrie, Canada

I eat breakfast lunch & dinner, one snack during the day which is a protein shake some times in the morning or the afternoon depends how far my meals will be spread apart that day. I try not to snack much after dinner but if I do its usually protein and or veggies.

my food intake is pretty much the same on a daily bases 80-100g of protein, 40-60g of carbs and 800-900 cals a day

when I was at the gym everyday all of those were higher based on my activity level but I haven't been able to exercise for a couple of weeks now because of my knee.

I have even found I have been waking up in the morning still very tired and with a really aweful headache which are signs of having low blood sugars through the night and I am having anywhere from 1 to 3 low blood sugars a day.

I have my one year follow up with my surgeon next week but not with my clinic for another 2 weeks and right now I am out of the Country in NY.

patience let's be realistic here, you won't drop two jean sizes in one day, you won't lose fifty pounds in one month, you're going to binge every now and then, you will go a day or two without working out, your weight is going to fluctuate here and there, you're going to try new techniques and they're not always going to work, you're a human being, you're going to fail from time to time but nothing great is ever accomplished without a few obstacles, JUST KEEP GOING.   

Catw
on 4/16/13 3:54 am - Arnprior, Canada

You said that you sometimes do have a snack after supper.  Do you still have the same symptoms the morning after your snack?  When I was prenant pre-WLS, I was sent to see a Dr at the High Risk Clinic about my blood pressure, and she also took care of the diabetic patients as well.  I learned from the nurse there, that when a person has high sugar levels in the morning, it usually means that a bit earlier (while they slept) they had a drastic low.  I would wonder if your experiencing your low just around when you wake up instead of earlier.  I'd try having a small protein snack before bed for a few days, and see if that changes what your mornings are like.  Either way, I'd still mention it to your clinic.  You may need to alter your menus to help with this.

Cathy

JJ_
on 4/16/13 8:52 am

Please remember that if you are no longer on any diabetic medication, your blood sugars should be between 4.0 and 6.0.  Diabetics normal range is 5.0 to 7.0.  Some people start low blood sugar reactions at any reading below 4.5.

What has your A1C levels been during the blood work?

Good luck in sorting this out.

Most Active
Recent Topics