Exercising post surgery-Does it get easier?

redviking
on 4/22/13 6:14 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I dread exercise-  Moving my body around is hard work, and it hurts!  Once I get going, I start to enjoy it and I definitely like the feeling of accomplishment and that endorphin rush, but getting started really sucks!  

When you started to lose weight, did exercise start to get easier? Did you enjoy it more? 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Nicole B.
on 4/22/13 6:45 am - Canada

It has definitely gotten easier for me!! I'm only 40 pounds in but, my back, knees and hips no longer hurt and I have so much more energy now!  You'll get there for sure!

Referral: April 2011 to GGH Info: 12/6/14 Nurse: 12/8/17SW: 12/8/17  Diet/Nut: 12/8/17 2nd Nurse: 12/10/4  2nd SW: 12/10/4  2nd Diet/Nut: 12/10/4  Internist: 12/10/12  3rd SW: 12/10/26  3rd Diet/Nut: 12/10/26  Nutrition Class: 12/11/27  Surgeon: 13/2/7 Opti Fast: 13/2/18 Pre-Op: 13/2/28  Surgery Date: 13/3/5 Dr Pereira-Hong

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ovalspice
on 4/22/13 7:09 am - Toronto, Canada

I hear you........I dread exercise too. I'm only 5 weeks post op and I haven't noticed that exercise has gotten easier (right now I'm doing about 30 minutes on my recumbant bike, 3-4 times a week) but I have noticed that I have more energy. I like my recumbant bike b/c any exercise that allows me to sit on my ass while doing it, is the perfect exercise for me  lol

I know I will have to ramp it up after a while to continue getting results. And I"ll hate it and ***** about it. When I"m really letting myself down re: exercise (meaning, not doing it lol) I usually call my old personal trainer and book a session with him to get myself motivated again. It also helps that he's not difficult to look at lol.

Cheers,

Andrea

Highest weight: 428lbs Dec/12: RNY surgery at HRRH March 18/13. Current Weight: 315lbs

JJ_
on 4/22/13 7:47 am

Yes it does get easier.....will you be more motivated to start....that is totally individual.  I feel fine about bending down to wipe something off the floor.  I can also bend and not hold my breath.  I can move easier, my lower back no longer gets tired as quickly.  I bought a treadmill in January and I like it.

Judy

chipmunk_roasting
on 4/22/13 11:19 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

My personal experience is, yes, it gets easier to move and to exercise.  I didn't like it before and I don't like it now, but I do it.

I don't have to like it, I just have to do it.   It isn't something I look forward to, I don't get any pleasure out of it, but I do it.

As I said, my own personal experience.

I swim, mostly cardio in the pool, and stretch.  

I don't want to go for a walk.  I haven't walked for 63 years and I'm not about to start now.  *grin*

But six to seven days a week, I'm in the pool, for 45 minutes to an hour.   I tolerate it.  But no ... I don't like it.

YMMV

Marilyn

aka mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Delicious_Delilah
on 4/22/13 11:52 am - Ottawa, Canada

It does get easier, but you have to do it regularly!  I started in the pool, then started working with personal trainer. I added in cardio -- first recumbent bike then worked up to elliptical. First time I got on elliptical! I did it for 4 minutes and thought I was going to "die". But I didn't. And my rule each time I got on was to at minimum do a better time than the time before -- upping the time by at least one minute or more each time. That was just before Christmas. And now I'm doing more than 30 minutes at a very good pace. And I'm enjoying it!!  Next step for me is the treadmill...but need to lose a bit more first to make sure my joints are well supported!  

So keep at it. As it hurts less, you come to appreciate it, and dare I say, crave it!  

I even started kickboxing a few weeks ago!  So much fun!

Anyway, good luck. Enjoy the ride!

DD

NorthernStar
on 4/23/13 3:42 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

YES, it gets easier! When I first started working out, about 4-5 weeks post op, I would put in a 20 minute low-impact DVD and would be dying after the warm up. I had to constantly start and stop. I was in terrible shape. Now I work out for at least an hour, 5-6 days a week. I run, do high-intensity interval training (HIIT), plyometrics and weight training.

Physical activity is much easier when you get some weight off and build a bit of a fitness base. Do what you like, only push yourself to be 'comfortable uncomfortable' and keep at it! The most important thing is consistency. Even if that's just a walk around the block some days, make a point to move most days of the week.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active
Recent Topics