Question for the runners

NorthernStar
on 5/17/13 5:44 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

So I just ran my first 5k and am pumped to try a 10k. What is the best way to go from 5k training to 10k? I am going to run another 5k, likely in July, and hope to decrease my time. Should I do this first before adding in more distance? Or can I increase my 5k speed while training for a 5k at the same time?

Anyone have any great running resources? Just wondering the best way to do this. Tips, tricks, strategies and stories all appreciated!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

NorthernStar
on 5/17/13 5:45 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

BTW, can't believe I'm even posting this thread. If someone had told me this time last year that I would be running, I would have said "from what?!"

*Lindsey*

gwynnkitty
on 5/17/13 9:17 am - North York, Canada

LOL!! I sure hope this is me this time NEXT year! :) Congrats! :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

RidingFan
on 5/17/13 5:46 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13
Don't have advice but just wanted to say - good for you !
kellybelly333
on 5/17/13 5:52 am - Toronto, Canada

I run from zombies lol. I didn't do any formalized training to finish 10k. I just went from 5 to 8 and then one day did 10. I was amazed. Doing my first 1/2 marathon next weekend!? What??? Lol. Like you I can't believe those words can out of my mouth.

there is a going from 5k to 10k program at the App Store, maybe that could help? Good luck and congrats!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

NorthernStar
on 5/17/13 9:07 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
A half marathon is amazing!!!

*Lindsey*

crstalww
on 5/17/13 6:08 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 11/06/12
Couch to 10 k. Im doing couch to 5 k training as one of my goals is to be a runner .

Orientation: July 23 2012       Dr Sullivan : August 16, 2012 Dietician, SW, RN, Sept 26, 2012    Dr Sullivan Oct 17, 2012 and pick up Optifast   PATTS: October 24, 2012         Surgery: November 6, 2012. Starting weight 277 surgery weight 268

highlandbear
on 5/17/13 6:25 am - Canada

First of all need to know did you run your 5k straight or did you do walk breaks and if so did you do 10 and 1. You want to do a 10k no problem. If did 5k straight than do your 10k 10 minutes of running and  1 minute of walking. This allows you to go further distance. When you go out for your runs don't worry about distance worry about length of time. I am doing a half marathon this weekend and goal is to do it 2/12 hours so my trainer had me build the run so i was out for 2 hours. it is about being able to get the body use to running for a long time. My marathon training had me out for 4 hours run. You build up to it.  No matter what we are always looking to improve on speed and that is where your tempo runs come into play and they should be done once a week.  There is nothing fun about them but believe me tempo runs will help you to increase your speed.  I have a great trainer and i have also gotten my tips from a professional runner who works where I train and he gives me alot of good tips. He would also tell you forget distance when you run work on time. If you are use to running 40 minutes than next time go 50 build slowly

Have any questions feel free to ask me

NorthernStar
on 5/17/13 9:10 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I ran the entire 5K, no walking, in 37:19. I'd like to get my speed up as well as do the 10k. What is a tempo run?

You have done amazing! A marathon is an incredible accomplishment

*Lindsey*

Marny B.
on 5/17/13 3:02 pm - Canada
A well balanced running program will consist of 3 things (as taught by the Running Room clinics I have attended):

1) 1 day of long distance running- you can build this up over time, adding a km or two as you feel comfortable. This running should not be done at a challenging pace, but at a comfortable pace that you can maintain over a long time/distance. As you add distance, you should try to break your running into intervals (10 min. Running, 1min. Walking), as this helps most people increase their overall endurance and helps them to run farther distances. Some people like to run the first 5-10k straight and then break the rest of their run into intervals. It is whatever works for you.

2) 1 day of hill training- Hills are important because they build the specific muscles that support your running. The stronger your running mucles are, the longer and faster you'll be able to run. Find a small/medium hill near your home, like a street that has a good dip in it. Make sure you do a small warm up, by jogging 1-2 km in the area. Jog down the hill slowly, remembering to bend your knees to absorb the shock. Going downhill can be extra hard on your joints. You can conserve energy by dropping you arms straight and loose by your sides. When you reach the bottom, turn around and jog up. Shorten your stride. Take smaller steps and use your arms for momentum. Take shorter, more rapid breaths. This is one hill interval. Try doing anywhere from 4-6 intervals in a session. Remember to complete a small warm down jog afterwards.

3) One day of speed training- Speed training is important because the only way to teach your body to run faster, is to run faster than your regular pace. Your muscles have memory. The more times they run at a faster pace, the more they remember how to fire in such a way that you can do it again. Find a long uninterrupted stretch of road or trail. Warm up with a 1-2km jog. Then proceed with your intervals. Run at a speed that is faster than your normal run, but at a speed that you can maintain for 200-400m. Jog back slowly to the place you started, recovering as you go. This is one speed interval. Do 4-6 intervals as you become better at it.

All of these things contribute to endurance (being able to run farther), and speed. Variety in your workout is important. If you only ever run at the same pace, on the same route, you'll never teach your body how to run more effectively. If you follow this structure for your running routine, your pace will eventually improve. Also, If you want to run an optional 4th day, you could run a short 2-4 km, but challenge your pacing, and push a little harder. This is a "tempo run"

Good luck!

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics