Day 3 post op - very nauseous so tired .... scared

lisachevy
on 5/26/13 9:41 pm - Kitchener, Canada
Urg I woke at 530 feeling so nauseous , dizzy and very tired. I took some sips of water and a gravol. Did some deep breathing fell back alseep until. 7 woke up feeling even more nauseous and tired. I am having my diluted apple juice to start. I will call clinic when they open I am just scared. I do not like this feeling. I am not diabetic, but before surgery if I didn't have something with sugar my blood sugar would drop and I would feel similar. Does anyone have suggestions, is this normal? Will this go away?. Gravol never helped

Lisa
Monica M.
on 5/26/13 9:50 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i didnt experience this. I'm sure other people will respond, hopefully some people with good suggestions.

are you getting in enough fluids? what colour is your urine (if its dark, then that's a sign that you are dehydrated)

Tired is normal. You're recovering from major surgery, remember. although there are only four or five little holes, your insides had a lot going on.

Try to get as much fluid into you as you can. It could be low blood sugar, so keep trying with the apple juice, or try some protein shake too.

Do call your clinic, and keep letting us know how things are going with you.

Jessica S.
on 5/26/13 10:03 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I did, I actually stayed an extra day cuz I just wanted to be sure but when I got home I felt a little better but still so so tired and nauseous for the first little while because of the lack of food and fluids. Give yourself some time to heal but if you are feeling like something is really off better safe then sorry. Go in and see them.

time2changeme
on 5/26/13 11:05 pm

I agree it's a good idea to call the clinic for suggestions.  I too had and still have a problem with my fluids, water makes me

very nauseous, so l would suggested you try other fluids, cranberry juice with water, crystal light, ho****er with fresh lemon and sweetener, chicken broth or any kind of herbal tea. It's so important to get enough fluids in.  Another suggestion would be to get your blood pressure checked. Gravol didn't work for me either.  Keep in mind at 3 days post op your body has a lot of healing to do, from having major surgery, rest and lots of fluids does help!   Let us know how you make out with the clinic! 

Needanewbeginning
on 5/26/13 11:11 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I know you feel very tired and lightheaded for sure. Its going to take a few days to get back on your feet so to speak. We were not given juices at HRRH, only water, I honestly dont think I could have drank any juice even if highly diluted, I was very nausious. I found the more water I got in the stronger I felt. I wasnt diabetic either, I kept hearing oh really well consider yourself lucky, you should be, ugh! Ok, whatever, all I know is mornings I needed to eat, big time or I had the shakes and felt sick. So, I dont have an answer for ya, I am sorry but as others have mentioned, you have made a good decision to contact the clinic. If you dont get any answers, personally I would call your surgeon. I actually called mine on my way home Saturday night from the hospital, within ten minutes he returned my call, I appoligized for calling he stopped me and said, Annette, I am your surgeon and will be here to take of you, call me anytime with any questions. Wow, now I truly want to beleive most if not all our Bariactric program Dr's have these same feelings towards being there for their patients.

Sorry, long reply, but bottom line, your not feeling well, will it get better, yes, but the best place to ask is your clinic/surgeon. Never feel affraid to ask anything, ever. I assure you, it wont be the first time your question is asked.

Keep us posted on how your coming along. This is a journey pal, oh I know, I am still sore on my one side, getting up and down from sitting,in and out of bed, ugh, but it WILL get better, your exhaustion WILL get better, your pain and nausia WILL get better. Father time needs to speed as far as I am concerned, I thingk thats the Dude or is it Mother Nature, heck who knows, you get my drift, lol, but your body is creating a whole new YOU!

Rest, sip, keep tootin if you have too and remember, we are all here to support ya when you need ok?

HUGS

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

lisachevy
on 5/26/13 11:49 pm - Kitchener, Canada
Thank you everyone I am waiting for a call back. I am feeling a bit better and I am sipping away. About to go for a walk, taking my phone with me incase they call. I really think my levels must have dropped.

Its just so hard feeling so different. I will continue to keep everyone posted. I also finally made a small bowel movement.
Joanne D.
on 5/27/13 3:27 am - Canada

Hi Lisa,

I had the same feeling....felt like I was going to pass out. I called the clinic and the first thing they asked was if I had a glucometer to see if my sugar levels were low.....sent my daughter to the drug store asap to buy one. By the time she returned and I tested I was fine! I had also had some diluted juices. It is good to have one on hand though....haven't used it since. I am not diabetic.....

Are you able to get protein shakes down. Costco ones are great. I always felt better having protein.

First week is rough, your body is adjusting to the lack of food and water. It does get better....tiredness lasted up to 3 weeks for me, but that gets better as well.....and rest! Your body is going through a lot of changes right now...

It gets better...

Joanne

referral from GP July 2012     Orientation October 2012  SW initial Dec 2012   Nurse Prac. Dec 2012   Nutrition Initial Jan 2012  Nutrition Jan 2012      Psycho social Jan 2013    Meeting with Surgeon Feb 22 2013     Surgery May 2nd ( Dr. Jackson TWH)

lisachevy
on 5/27/13 9:12 am - Kitchener, Canada
Not supposed to do protein shakes until day 8. I am not even sure Guelph allows them to begin with but I wanna ask tomorrow cause I think it will make me feel better. I know I had issues with low blood sugar before surgery so it makes sense it would stay the same. I have been adding a bit of protein powder to the broth and tea. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks
ovalspice
on 5/27/13 4:44 am - Toronto, Canada

SUggestion for treatment of nausea..........buy the Gravol suppositories. I know the idea of putting something up your bum is kinda gross lol.........but, because your stomach is newly operated on, it really probably isn't digesting/absorbing the gravol very well. Just an idea that I thought might work. Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Cheers,

Andrea

Highest weight: 428lbs Dec/12: RNY surgery at HRRH March 18/13. Current Weight: 315lbs

lisachevy
on 5/27/13 8:59 am - Kitchener, Canada
Ever knew there was that type of gravol I will def have to get that if the oral one is not going to work. Thank u
Most Active
Recent Topics