Help

Jen1984
on 5/27/13 12:07 pm - trenton, ontario, Canada
So tonight I was eating salmon which I have eaten before with no problem(I'm 3 weeks post op). Then I suddenly was feeling this stuck feeling so I have been drinking and puking to get it out but the stuck feeling was still there. Someone suggest I drink pickle juice to help disolve the food so I had a few sips which is where things went bad. So I threw up the pickle juice almost instantly but now it's like my pouch is pushing stuff up into my chest and its painful. Any one experience this before or any suggestions? Maybe the pickle juice curdled my stomach?

Surgery Date May 7th 2013 at Humber with Dr. Klein

Marny B.
on 5/27/13 12:21 pm, edited 5/27/13 12:23 pm - Canada
Some people have success with papaya enzyme which can be bought at Shoppers. It helps to break down the food that is stuck. This can be a very painful experience, I know. I have such a hard time with salmon, even at 2.5 years out, I've not had a positive experience with it yet.

Hope you feel better soon!

Edit to add: What stage of eating are you at? A 3 weeks post op, I was still on full fluids. Salmon is a very dense fish. Maybe try something much softer like tilapia, in the future.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

moniquesgettingft
on 5/27/13 12:41 pm - Scarborough Ontario, Canada
I'm just 3+ weeks out and had an egg not too long ago maybe an hour ago and it got stuck in my chest and I dumped.. Ouch.. I fully feel for you
maryottawa
on 5/27/13 1:51 pm - Canada
I feel bad if i eat boiled egg or fried egg but when i eat scrambled or poached eggs i feel good. And i need to remember eat slowly.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

maryottawa
on 5/27/13 1:47 pm - Canada
The nurse said not try fish until one month because fish is dry. I try tuna and something i feel the tuna is dry. Try to drink warm water, if tomorrow you feel the same way call your center. Good luck.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

JJ_
on 5/27/13 2:01 pm

Did you have some sort of sauce on the salmon?  Early out, everything I ate had some sort of liquid in it to help it go down, bbq sauce, gravy, etc.  You are eating so little that the little bit of fat in the sauce is not going to be a major distraction in your weight loss.  If anything, you need some fat in your diet to help keep everything oiled up inside!!   (Some folks have problems with the sugar content of some products or the fat).  No sure if it is applicable to you. 

When I was early out, I would eat, and sometimes I had to wait 10 minutes for the food to move further down.  I could tell when I needed to stop and wait it out.  I have not experienced what you are describing but others have talked about papaya enzymes to help dissolve meat products.  Good luck with this.

Judy

Needanewbeginning
on 5/27/13 2:07 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

There's a good point, are you still taking a small bite then waiting say ten minutes before another bite? You might be eating too quickly and as others mentioned maybe its just too soon to eat this type of fish?

Hope your feeling better soon, gasp, I can't imagine actually drinking pickle juice! devil

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Joanne D.
on 5/27/13 10:15 pm - Canada

I am 4 weeks out this Thursday and had that experience last night with scrambles eggs, which I had the night before with no issues. Sometimes I have some gas bubbles that need to get up and then I feel much better. I didn't drink anything and immediately stopped eating. I waited it out....walked around.....rubbed the area where the discomfort was. Eventually the gas came up and felt 100 x better. Don't panic if you get that stuck feeling....just wait it out.

Joanne

referral from GP July 2012     Orientation October 2012  SW initial Dec 2012   Nurse Prac. Dec 2012   Nutrition Initial Jan 2012  Nutrition Jan 2012      Psycho social Jan 2013    Meeting with Surgeon Feb 22 2013     Surgery May 2nd ( Dr. Jackson TWH)

Jen1984
on 5/27/13 10:17 pm - trenton, ontario, Canada

Well my book says at 3 weeks out salmon is ok and it was fine a few days ago but I think I either ate to fast or didn't chew enough but I feel ok this morning thank god that was painful

Surgery Date May 7th 2013 at Humber with Dr. Klein

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 10:43 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Was it salmon from a can or salmon that you cooked yourself? Usually at 3 weeks post op, you are on pureed and salmon is allowed but you have to run it through the blender or bullet and add some mayo or greek yogurt or something to keep it very moist.

Most Active
Recent Topics