Anyone not take Optifast prior to surgery?

EternalEx
on 5/28/13 9:16 am - Canada

First of all, I will be contacting the dietician and my surgeon for their directions on this. I am just looking for personal experience from other members here.

I am wondering if you are not able to do the Optifast diet due to medical reasons (ie. allergies) was there an alternate "diet" prescribed pre-op? I've read a few posts - primarily from the US - that there are several versions of a low-fat/low-carb plan. Just curious what accommodations can be made?

Thanks

Norma

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/28/13 9:44 am - Windsor, Canada

I know people from my support group that have done the alternate diet. 

To be given an Optifast exemption, you'll generally need a well documented case of allergies.

You'll be given instead a very low calorie diet (VLCD) often of chicken and salad.  At least that's what she was given.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Elisabeth G.
on 5/28/13 10:05 am - Windsor, Canada

Dawn is right I was given a 900 calorie a day protein sparing diet which consisted of 9 ounces of lean white protein chicken or white fish 3 servings of veggies 1 servings of grains and 1 serving of fat a day it was very strict 

EternalEx
on 5/28/13 11:30 am - Canada
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking along those lines.

Is it possible to return Optifast for refund?
Needanewbeginning
on 5/28/13 1:21 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I tried at Dr Hagens to return my one leftover box, she said they don't but suggested on our oh site there may be a place here to sell it? I haven't checked, but maybe?

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Eve_34
on 5/28/13 10:51 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/23/13

My doctor uses diabetic boost....  You have 4 a day and water...

Most Active
Recent Topics