Charley horse

orcoco
on 6/5/13 1:38 pm
I had my surgery March 18th at HRRH. Had a few problems but got out in 3 days so not too bad. Just after I got home I developed severe gout and my foot swelled like a football for over a month. It has finally gone but now I am getting a charley horse at night that wakes me up. I have to get up and walk them off. They seem to be occurring more and more often. Tonight I have had it in both legs starting with my feet....probably five times already this far! Has anyone else been bothered with these after surgery?if so is there anything I can do or take to help relieve them? Thanks,
Debbie

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

Needanewbeginning
on 6/5/13 1:47 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

That is painful, have you been eating oatmeal? My husband has problems with gout once in a while and we finally figured out one of the contributors to the gout was oatmeal of all things!! 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Grammaof3
on 6/5/13 1:53 pm - Canada
I was eating oatmeal a lot right after I got home. I started taking cherry juice concentrate and vitamin C and that seemed to help get rid of the gout so I am still using them! I guess high protein and gout are to compatible!
JJ_
on 6/5/13 1:50 pm

My PCP had informed me that charley horses are due to low levels of potassium.  Her prescription was to have 1/2 a banana a day until it went away.

Judy

Grammaof3
on 6/5/13 1:51 pm - Canada
Thanks..I will try that as I don't usually eat bananas!
Grammaof3
on 6/5/13 1:51 pm - Canada
I somehow used my daughters account instead of mine. I am Grammaof3 not orcoco!
Laurie C.
on 6/5/13 9:50 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey Debbie:

I just figured you out.  I'm Darcy's sister Laurie, glad everything is going well (except for the charley horses).  are you taking your calcium.  I've been told they are caused by lack of calcium.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Nanato2
on 6/5/13 8:54 pm, edited 6/5/13 8:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Are you getting enough fluids in because sometimes charley horse can be cause by not drinking enough or gout can also be cause by something in your diet or vitamins being too low.  However, all these issue's you are having with your legs I would talk with your doctor as they could be signs of something else. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

2mar
on 6/5/13 10:19 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

I eat 1/3 of a banana every day. ( don't think I absorb potassium the way I should) - then no charley horses at night. I can skip 1 or 2 days without it - then I get the cramps again.

So daily 1/4 to 1/3 of a banana for me. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Marny B.
on 6/6/13 3:45 am - Canada

I have also heard the potassium thing.  I have found that the quickest way to get them to subside is to put my foot on something really cold.  I used to get charley horses and I would keep an ice pack in a lunchbox cooler by my bed.  When  got a cramp, I'd immediately stick my foot on the ice pack and it would go away within seconds.   :)

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics