Post gallbladder removal questions

only_angel
on 6/11/13 4:29 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13
I had my gallbladder removed yesterday and everything went fine, but I'm just wondering what can I eat? The papers I received said to start on liquids and then move to soft food and then to normal food but it didn't really say how long I should stay at each stage for and being the dork that I am I forgot to ask dr Starr about it when I saw him today. So does anyone have any suggestions?
Anastasia_Marie
on 6/11/13 4:44 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

for your gallbladder removal as soon as your body tolerates it you can move to the next stage - when i had my gallbladder out I hung out on puree'd for about a week liquids about 2 days prior to that

Referral December 3/12 ~ Orientation April 24/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner May 27/13 ~ Nutritionist May 31/13 ~ Social Worker June 3/13 ~ Sleep Study June 24/13 ~ Ultrasound June 27/13 ~ Sleep Study Results August 20/13 ~Nurse Prac. Appointment September 10/13 ~ Surgeon Appt. Dr. Glazier & Dr. Hagen October 16/13 ~ Pre-Surgical Class October 23/13 ~ PATTS November 7/13 ~ Surgery November 20/13

Catw
on 6/11/13 5:21 am - Arnprior, Canada

Wow, you got an eating plan?  I had mine out pre WLS, and I was told I could eat whatever I could tolerate, no restrictions after I left the hospital.  Although I had surgery on Thursday, and didn't leave until Friday.

As for following theirs, basically it will be a bit of trial and error.  Take a little at a time to make any disagreement with you and your body easier to take.

Cathy

only_angel
on 6/11/13 6:03 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13
Thank you I tried watered down chilli last night after I got out of the hospital but it seemed way to heavy. Since then I have been sticking to soup and jello.
LittleMiss2013
on 6/11/13 6:19 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Ya same here...I didn't get an eating plan. I had my gallbladder out almost exactly a year ago, and they didn't tell me to restrict anything. I just ate normally.

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

time2changeme
on 6/11/13 7:26 am

I have no suggestions, as l haven't had gall bladder surgery, but I have a few questions for you.

I have been having some gall bladder issues, including a severe attack, and am curious how things went for you, before my WLS my gall bladder was fine, since I have had issues and the ultra sound shows that it's packed with stones, I'm still waiting to hear back from the surgeon what his feelings are about getting it removed now or if he thinks l should wait.  The thoughts of having another gall bladder attack it's something l am NOT looking forward to, it was wicked!     

How long ago was your WLS?

Did you have any gall bladder issues before you had WLS?

Did you have several attacks?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your reply.

only_angel
on 6/11/13 7:48 pm, edited 6/12/13 2:47 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13
Before wls my gallbladder was fine I had no problems with it. I am currently 5 months post op and just started having gallbladder attacks on may 13th. I agree they are horrible. I ended up in the emergency room four times with severe pain, to the point I was in tears. After the third trip to the emergency room I called my surgeons office and just notified them that I was having problems.

At that point they just booked me an appointment to talk about possibly getting it out. In the mean time tho I was sent to a doctor here in sault ste Marie who suggested that I just get it removed. I called dr Starr's office back and explained what the other dr said and they booked me for surgery.

I had an appointment on the 5th with Dr Starr where he explained the surgery to me and then had my gallbladder removed on the 10th. I had it done laparoscopically which allowed me to be out of the hospital the same day. I will admit that I find its a tad more painful than when I had my rny but that's mainly because while you're in the hospital after rny if you need something stronger for pain they give it to you lol.

The process all together from getting attacks to having it removed took less than a month for me. I hope everything goes well for you and that they get your mean gallbladder out before it causes You anymore pain
time2changeme
on 6/12/13 4:36 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your information with me. I know everyone is different, but I was just curious!

I'm wondering what if anything will happen at my appointment tomorrow.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery!

Most Active
Recent Topics