Post surgery help

shellabella
on 6/15/13 12:58 am - Canada
Can someone who has had surgery in the states receive help here? My aunt had rny in Michigan about 5 years ago. She has totally blown it! She has had regain...a lot of regain. She has had health problems including a kidney transplant. She does not follow either diet for rny or transplant. We have finally got thru to her that she needs help. Do you think Windsor would help her to go back to the beginning? She didn't attend all classes pre or post op that I believe would have helped her. I just believe she could start again if she has some help and guidance. Any ideas?

XO-SHELLABELLA
FROM "SHELLEY BELLY" TO "SHELLEY BEAUTIFUL"...EVENTUALLY!
Lorieliz
on 6/15/13 1:03 am - Canada

She would need to be referred by her gp - that is the place to start.

Not sure how they would feel about more surgery. Might consider the Optifast diet, which could get her back on track.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

shellabella
on 6/15/13 1:06 am - Canada
I don't think she would want more surgery anyway. She is pretty tired of that! But seeing the dietician and social worker could help. So she would need a referral for that, right?

XO-SHELLABELLA
Urbanlamb
on 6/15/13 1:38 am - Canada

Forgive me for saying this, but I'm kinda pissed.

My childhood friend in Nova Scotia has been waiting five years for a kidney....she would move heaven and earth to get one and so for that matter, would I.  Following a diet would be a piece of cake for her.  I want this surgery more than anything and I am so grateful that it is covered, since I'd never be able to afford it.  All I got to do is follow the guidelines?  Sign me up, and let's go!  Being given this gift, I will work my arse off  (literally...lol).

You are saying that she has not followed her diet, or has attended pre and post op classes and this is one of the reasons that she is at this point in her life.

Perhaps she is suffering from denial/depression and the best start for her is therapy?

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/15/13 2:02 am, edited 6/15/13 2:02 am - Windsor, Canada

Windsor does not receive funding to treat any patients ffrom back then under the old System.  However, if she meets the criteria she can put in for a revision of her surgery or as another post said, she could qualify for their alternative optifast medical weight loss management program.    I know a few people that had surgery around that time as myself and they are in theprocess of going through revisions. 

If she's a windsor  or area resident feel free to put her in touch with me as I run our local support group.  She really should have come to our meetings if she was struggling :-(

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

highlandbear
on 6/15/13 3:10 am - Canada

It first sounds like she just does not care. The waiting list for transplant is so long and not to follow that diet is saying she does not care. I would say if she is really ready to make changes she needs to go to her family doctor and ask him for the help and he can send her to the right people to help her. She needs to talk to someone for sure to help her figure out why she is doing this to her self.  Just remember you can make the suggestions but she has to be the one who wants to do it. If she is not ready than she will just say what she thinks people  want to hear so they will get off her back. 

shellabella
on 6/15/13 3:30 am - Canada
I whole-heartedly agree! I just wondered if it would be better for her to see a Bariatric centre social worker. And if it was possible to get help here when she had her surgery in the states

XO-SHELLABELLA
CraigMacgregor
on 6/15/13 10:21 am
Think possibly he's had quite enough help. Sorry to sound harsh but anyone who's had this surgery knows what to do

Referral June 13 2012,     Meeting Dr Reed Sept 10/ 2012,    Orientation 9/20/12                            Nurse, SW Nut visit Nov 10/6/12    Post op class 1/22 /13   Surgeon appointment April 9/13  Surgery May30/2013

Leslie W.
on 6/15/13 10:57 am - Cobourg, Canada

Your aunt can get a referral to a Dietician from her GP. She does not need to go to the centre. It does not sound like she is ready to make the changes. Starting with a Dietician to get back on track will help. What about the centre where she had her transplant. They shoudl have psychologist etc... to help deal with trasnplant

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
MisterDiminishing
on 6/15/13 2:49 pm - Windsor, Canada

We don't know enough about this woman's history and situation to hold a crucifixion.   She does appear to need professional help and support.  Hopefully she knows where to look (and not to look) for both.    The Windsor centre is well equipped to help post-ops with social work and psychological services for those who are not perfect angels, struggling with those old demons still, etc.    Hopefully in spite of being a product of a Michigan surgical centre they can still either help her or point her in the right direction.

Most Active
Recent Topics