Interesting article - three secrets my doctor doesn't know about me

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/14/13 11:52 pm - Ottawa, ON, Canada

With attribution - I like this.

3 secrets my doctor doesn’t know

Dear Doctor,

I am a good patient. I’m organized, I know my health history and I’m particularly polite. I’ll thank you just for giving me bad news.

I look up to you. I do see myself as a partner in my care, but I depend on your expertise. I appreciate the years of schooling and sleepless residency nights that have trained you to know what might be causing my pain and how to adjust my medications.

My appointments always run smoothly. There isn’t overreaction or disregard for your advice. It may seem like I am open and honest with you, but I have a few secrets.

Secret #1: I trust you, sometimes more than myself. This makes me second guess my symptoms. Because I live with a chronic illness, I have learned to cope with pain and physical abnormalities that might be concerning to you. If you deem my condition stable I will push my concerns to the back burner. The headache? It’s no big deal. The nausea? Barely noticeable.

Secret #2: I may look strong, but I’m scared. I don’t want to cry in your office, so I wait until I’m in the car. That warm smile and hearty handshake I offered were covering up the worry that has taken over my thoughts. The future feels wild and unpredictable. I’ve been in the health system long enough that I should be used to these fears, but at each appointment they feel new.

Secret #3: I push the limits. Maybe this is more of an open secret, but I sometimes sway from that healthy lifestyle we’ve discussed. I occasionally eat more sodium than I should, and I know that exercise is important, but I skipped all of last week. I do pretty well, so I don’t mention these slipups. I need to better understand how important this is to my care. Can you help me recognize, in my own life, what the benefits of these changes will be?

I would like to have a more authentic, even less polite, relationship with you. I want to share these secrets. I want you to be able to care for me without either of us feeling self-conscious. I will work to make that happen. I’ll tell you about all of the symptoms, even the ones I’m pretty sure are only in my head.

In return, I ask for your patience, your questions and your concern. Invite me to tell you the down-and-dirty of living with my condition. Talk through it with me. I know this is hard in today’s health care pressure cooker. We both want more time. I promise to come prepared, meet you in the middle and share if you will listen.

I will still be a good patient. Still show up on time. Still thank you even when you give me bad news. But a more authentic, secret free, relationship will serve us both better in the long run.

Sincerely,

Your Patient

Danea Horn is the author of Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness and blogs at Chronic Resilience.

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Monica M.
on 7/15/13 1:14 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

very interesting! thank you.

gwynnkitty
on 7/15/13 1:42 am - North York, Canada

What a great article. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Dar_Mab
on 7/15/13 3:35 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Interesting article, indeed!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

time2changeme
on 7/15/13 4:00 am

Thanks for sharing!  Great article!

Laurie C.
on 7/15/13 12:17 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

very interesting but why wait to tell the doctor.  Tell him or her immediately.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Most Active
Recent Topics