Just putting it out there -- my challenge this week

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/15/13 12:41 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

My eleven year old granddaughter is staying with me this week as she is attending a day camp program (Amazing Race adventure) near my apartment.  Rather than her parents driving across the city every morning, it's convenient (and fun!) for all of us that she stay with Grandma.

Her parents (my son, post WLS, down 200 pounds and maintaining for close to four years), have sent groceries and treats as they know my eating plan doesn't include a lot of the things that an eleven year old wants, likes and deserves. 

I'm not going to eat the very healthy banana bread, the very healthy home made lasagna, etc. that are now sitting in my refrigerator, freezer and cupboards, but I just want to put it out there that this could be a challenging week.   I am not going to eat it - you know it, I know it.  I live alone, so if I don't bring it in to the house, it doesn't get eaten.

So ... just my way of saying that I completely and totally admire and respect anyone who cooks meals, prepares food, for others with no WLS implications (and a special shout out to those on OptiFast who do that while taking their nourishment from those shakes).  You people face challenges I don't, and I salute you.

I didn't get to my pre-op weight by ignoring the siren calls from the freezer and cupboards.  RNY restriction is truly my friend, and I'm just not listening to those foods and those voices.   The food leaves on Friday. 

Oooooh!   Wonderful NSV to share (and focus on) -- I tried on jackets at the Bay on Friday -- a freakin' size 16!   I haven't been in a size 16 since I was 30 (and since Grandma is 64, you can do the math).

Cheers, all -- thanks for letting me tell you about this one manageable challenge.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Michele T.
on 7/15/13 1:08 am - Canada

Congrats to you :)

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/15/13 2:27 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Thanks, Michelle :)

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Monica M.
on 7/15/13 1:11 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Have i told you how awesome you are???

You can do this!!!

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/15/13 2:29 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Aww, Monica -- that's *gold* coming from one of the people I admire most around here.

Thank you!

(Let me repeat "shut up, banana bread...")

mmm

Monica M.
on 7/15/13 4:21 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

i can hear the banana bread calling from here!!!! that's powerful stuff! but you go the mojo, lady.

gwynnkitty
on 7/15/13 2:06 am - North York, Canada

I absolutely believe you've got this - and whenever you're having troubles (IF you're having them, I mean!), come back and read your post. You know all of the reasons you're saying no to these things, and your head is absolutely in the right place.

And you know what? WAY TO GO on the size 16 jacket, lady!! That's AMAZING! I can only imagine what a thrill that must have been for you!! (((HUGS)))

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/15/13 2:31 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Thank you so much -- I appreciate the support.

And size 16 -- wholly and holy crap!  :)  I admit to being teary-eyed. 

mmm

kellybelly333
on 7/15/13 2:17 am - Toronto, Canada

My dear, you can do this. Putting it out there will help as well. I find things that are sweet are my big issue now. I have chocolate in the house. I just tell myself it's not for me, but for the kids. Chips are another issue. The kids do love them, but I don't have them in the house. People do keep bringing them to our revolving door (this is what I get for moving in with a man, with a pool lol). Chips are the poolside snack of choice. I have a couple, and seem to be ok with just that. IT's funny how sweets trigger me more. I was more of a chip girl before surgery.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/15/13 2:33 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Oh, Kelly!   Thank you. 

Honest to God, it's for your kind of supportive words that I wrote this out. 

I'm having edamame from the pods, right now, and it's a good protein forward snack.  I introduced the family to them last week, and (wicked laugh bwaaahahahaha), they're hooked on them.

mmm

Most Active
Recent Topics