6 months later (Long)

TM-Doingitforme
on 7/31/13 9:53 pm - Canada

So this is a little bit late, and a little bit long, but I wanted to offer up my reflections on my WLS after 6-months out.  I honestly couldn’t be happier with my surgery and the changes it has made in my life. 

First, it was a scary decision, I was nervous about the risks versus the benefits of the surgery, which is completely normal, it is a high-risk surgery with the chance of some pretty serious complications, but with my weight and health concerns I was facing some pretty serious health risks regardless.  Ultimately it came down to the fact that I want to be here for my husband and my daughter and to be able to participate in life and not jus****ch it from the sidelines.  It was the right choice for me.

The surgery itself was textbook RNY, I didn’t have any complications and went home a couple days later to learn to live with my new pouch and wrap my head around my new way of eating.  I found that after being on Opti, then fluids and full-fluids my sense of taste had changed and I liked things that I never used to and others I had always liked, not as much.  I have been lucky and haven’t had any dumping, but then I haven’t really pushed it and kept to the rules.  I’d rather keep it as a “bogeyman” that prevents me from eating the bad stuff than test and find out that I can get away with too much fat and sugar. 

The numbers: 

• I have lost a total of 100 pounds since I asked my doctor for a referral in May 2012; 85 pounds of that since my surgery on January 23, 2013. 
  • Blood pressure went from consistently high(@157/95) to perfect (120/80)
  • From a BMI of 50.6 to 31.71
  • Size 20-22 pants to a size 10 (I almost cried at Reitman’s the first time I could buy pants at the front of the store in the “normal” section)
  • Size 4X top to a Large or Medium, depending on the cut.
  • 44G bra to a 38DDD (Sounds great, except that I can practically fold the poor things into the new bras, I miss them but don’t miss the weight of them )
  • Size 8 shoe to a Size 7.5

Beyond the numbers, NSVs:

• Losing the weight made me fit more comfortably behind the wheel of our car and gave me the confidence to go for my licence.  I passed my G2 test on July 15th and at the age of 44 I can finally drive myself around!  I am immensely proud of that accomplishment and the independence it has given me.
  • I joined a fitness centre with my husband and daughter and we are approaching this as a family endeavour so we can all be healthy and have fun together.  It has been a great experience and I cried all over the Dietician at HRRH at my 3 month appointment when I tried to describe to her the sheer joy I fel****ching my daughter run on the track while I walked along with her the first time we went, the pride I felt in myself for being out there and for setting an example that will hopefully set the ground work for my daughter having a healthy approach to life and exercise.
  • Honestly my husband and daughter have both been so supportive and it has really helped me on this journey. It feels like my husband and I are closer than ever and everything is fresh again, which is an accomplishment considering we’ve been together almost 20 years.
  • My entire family has been supportive of my surgery and the road I’m on.  My Mom and in-laws maybe don’t understand all the rules (I wish I could say “Please stop offering me Pop, even if it is diet!”) but I know they are doing their best to help and have been very supportive.  I also have a number of great and supportive friends that have cheered me on my journey. 
  • I am getting compliments all over the place and people are shocked when they see the changes in my appearance. It is a great confidence boost.  I know I look better and I’m loving being able to shop for more stylish clothes, although I’m holding off doing any major shopping until I’m a bit closer to goal.  Sure I have bat wings and droopy bits still, but clothes are great at hiding these and honestly I’ll keep my “wings” over the weight any day!
  • I no longer feel like I’m sitting on the sidelines watching everyone else because I haven’t the energy to join in or am too embarrassed about my size.  I join in the party, I jump in the pool (literally, I even went on a waterslide at a water park for the first time in my life!).  I no longer just hide behind the camera and take the pictures at all the events and parties, I get in the picture too. 

The other stuff:

• I am working on the head hunger issues that will always be with me.  Like why am I hungry all day at work when I’m just sitting there on the computer yet not hungry at all on the weekends when I’m busy and running around exerting all sorts of energy?
  • I am finding that I have to be very careful on how I discuss my weight loss around my 6 year-old daughter because I don’t want to skew her idea of what is healthy and what is not.  I’ve heard too many horror stories of girls at really young ages thinking they are overweight (she is tall for her age, slender and active so she doesn’t have anything to worry about) and I don’t want my issues to become her issues or to create unnecessary concerns for her.  I try to answer her questions as honestly as possible but not to dwell on diet but focus on healthy eating and being active.
  • My schedule is always hectic and crazy, and I really struggle with getting enough sleep at night.  I’ve noticed that every time I’ve started to stall I’m also not getting enough sleep (only @ 6 hours a night), as soon as I make a point of going to bed earlier and increasing my sleep to 7-7.5 hours a night the stall ends, at least so far.

So what is next?  Keep on working to get to goal, keep enjoying the victories and milestones along the way, not beating myself up if things take longer than I hope/expect and keep on getting out and enjoying life!!!  Also, taking the time the thank everyone that has and continues to help me along the way.  That includes everyone on this forum; this site has been a big part of providing information and support when I’ve needed it.  I still lurk and try to contribute if I have anything to offer, but must admit that I’m not on as much as I should be.  If you are starting out on your journey good luck and if you are a vet, thank you for your guidance and inspiration!

Referral: May 13, 2012 | Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH  | RN, RD & SW: August 24, 2012  |  Surgeon - Dr. Huynh: July 21, 2012  & November 22, 2012 |  Internist - Dr. Glazer: September 21, 2012 &  November 19, 2012 | RNY Surgery: January 23, 2013 (HRRH)

Bran_Flakes
on 7/31/13 10:11 pm
So inspiring thank you for sharing!

HW 312lbs  Opti Weight 265lbs  SW 251 CW 202

Referral May 2, 2013   Confirmation to registry May 16, 2013,  Orientation May 27, 2013, Meet with Surgeon Dr. Huynh  June 4, 2013, SW and RD June 12, 2013, RN and Dr. Glazer July 8, 2013,  2nd Apt with Dr Huynh July 18, 2013, Start opti July 24, 2013, PATTS July 30, 2013, Surgery Date Aug 7, 2013

Vi-Vi
on 7/31/13 10:14 pm
VSG on 12/13/12

Congrats!  You've done amazingly well.  I truly understand the no sitting on the sidelines part as I also participate now!  Keep up the great work.

Sylvie

HW: 352.6.  Opti wt: 331,   Surgery wt: 308. CW: 190.4

Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment!!   --Eggface

Dar_Mab
on 7/31/13 10:43 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Great post about your success at 6 months!  Inspirational!   Great job at embracing what this surgery and life can offer !

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

kristaeb
on 7/31/13 10:49 pm

Great post. Congrats and i wish you continued success..Krista...broken heart

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Patm
on 7/31/13 11:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Great post. Congrats on all your victories you have certainly earned them

Monica9811
on 7/31/13 11:13 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I loved your post-I am not too far behind you but when I was a newbie I loved to read things like this and now i am living them myself!  Congrats on your success so far.  You have done amazing!

Bellafeega
on 7/31/13 11:49 pm - Toronto, Canada

That's wonderful darling! So happy for you:)

Referral to Bariatric Registry: April 30th 2013  Orientation:  May 27th 2013   Meet Dr Huynh: June 4th 2013

RD and RN: June 5th 2013  SW: June 11th 2013   Dr Glazer: July 3rd 2013  2nd Meeting with Dr Huynh: July 18th 2013  SW: July 18th 2013 Sleep Test: July 16th  Follow Up With Dr Glazer: July 22nd 2012  Patts: July25th Surgery: August 7th 2013!!!!!!!!!

Hennagirliegirl
on 7/31/13 11:59 pm - Canada

So great to read these amazing stories, thanks so much for sharing. You sound so happy. Although I am not unhappy the accomplishments you mention thrill me when I think of them happening to me too!

Congrats!

Terru

gwynnkitty
on 8/1/13 12:24 am - North York, Canada

What an absolutely WONDERFUL post. :) I'm so happy for you! 

Thank you SO much for sharing your journey so far with us. :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Most Active
Recent Topics