Learned a little trick last night...

reliena
on 8/8/13 7:39 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hey guys, after my downer post yesterday, I thought I'd share something that made me laugh, thinking of the future. My partner John has been having a rough week of late nights and mucho overtime, so last night he asked if I could make him some dinner so that he had something to eat when he got home at 9pm, and to take to lunch. He wasn't choosy, but he did send me a recipe that had ingredients we already had.

What did I learn? If you have to make food for your family during Opti and post-surgery, to avoid wanting to eat it - make foods you would never want to eat! I hate bell peppers and they actually make me ill. So I was only too happy to make John's recipe, which was loaded with peppers. I didn't want to sample any of it, eat any of it. Problem solved! Haha.

The only thing was that when I told him my revelation, he got a bit sad. I think he is still really worried about the surgery/what our life will be like afterwards. I can understand his worries, especially surrounding food, because a lot of our life revolves around it! Only he's got that magic metabolism that makes him only slightly pudgy in the gut. I think though that he will fine the sacrifice in a food indulging partner for a slim, healthy, happy partner is worth it.

And one last thought for those who saw my post about my aunt's death - I decided to use the counseling services offered by John's company to talk to someone about it, as well as my other depression triggers of late. I recommend to anyone with these kinds of benefits to take advantage of them! I'm hoping that it will help a bit to curve the weight gaining I've had lately from comfort eating.

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/13 8:59 am - Straford, Canada

counseling is very important at various times in our lives! Great you're availing yourself of those needs!  Enjoy the ride!  

reliena
on 8/8/13 9:27 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks Ian :)

gonna_B_thinner
on 8/8/13 9:19 am

Glad to hear your going to  get help .  Take care. 

reliena
on 8/8/13 9:28 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thank-you!

1greeneyedgirl
on 8/8/13 11:34 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Hi, well I think that was a very smart idea to keep yourself right on track.  Keep some peppers in the house LOL!

I'm sorry for your loss, that is very hard to go through and counseling can be very helpful.  I wish you continued success and

just keep on going. xo

Cathy

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

reliena
on 8/8/13 12:10 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thank-you Cathy! I will definitely put peppers in things more often!

Patm
on 8/8/13 12:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

My husband and I both like to cook and we love wine. At present I enjoy trying new recipes that I can eat. They do not have to be boring. My husband who has never had to diet enjoys the new recipes as much as I do.

Keep up the great job on the opti

reliena
on 8/8/13 1:08 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

That's great to hear! I'm sure we will have many new foods to enjoy together post-op.

KerryF.
on 8/8/13 7:16 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13
hahahahaha my husband has already suggested he do this while I'm on opti.
To have things he knows I don't like. He said he will have 3 weeks of beans on toast because I can't stand beans LOL

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Most Active
Recent Topics