No appetite....what to do?

Pawsitive_One
on 8/12/13 11:29 pm
RNY on 07/02/13

I'm 6 weeks post op and finding that I just don't feel like eating...especially after I cook something.  Its as if I get "full" on cooking fumes! lol  I know I have to get my protein in but its been difficult with no appetite ....    

I'm finding this to be an interesting situation since before the surgery, I would eat with no appetite (usually stress related) and now after surgery and no appetite, my body says 'nope'.   Very strange experience....

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Mary A.
on 8/12/13 11:49 pm

that's where protein shakes come in handy...

if you were to make 2-3 of those a day, you would fulfill your protein intake requirements..you need to get the nutrients into your body....you also need to train your brain to do this very same thing..we have all had periods of time when food isn't appealing (what a change from before eh?)...but you have to do it..otherwise you get off track and possibly start choosing wrong foods, eating whenever and simply falling back into OLD BAD habits.

Also your body will go into starvation mode and your weight loss will stop..you need to fuel your body to keep it healthy

You need to set a routine, if you are cooking for your family..make sure to have items that you can sit down and enjoy along with the family...actually IMO...it should always be a meal that your entire family can enjoy together...that's not always easy in he beginning of this journey but it gets better with time.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Hanneli xoxo
on 8/13/13 12:07 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I would suggest to eat whether you have an appetite or not. That is why I ensure I eat 3-5 measured 1 cup meals/snacks per day. You do what you gotta do.

kellybelly333
on 8/13/13 1:10 am - Toronto, Canada

As others have said, get your protein in....and enjoy this feeling while it lasts. :-) The hunger will return. Get your protein in, in the meantime.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Gabygee
on 8/13/13 1:35 am - Canada

Kelly's right.

Your appetite does return (min took almost 2 years) but in the meantime, you are eating to survive - your bady is in starvation mode.

So that's why measuring becomes really important now.

This is how "normal" people eat - just enough to burn off as fuel, every day.

DeidreB
on 8/13/13 2:28 am
I've noticed that my sense of smell is much more sensitive post op. perhaps the smells from cooking are affecting your appetite. Try eating cold foods as the scent is less and perhaps eat your meal prior to cooking and then sit with the family and sip after cooking. I don't have much of an appetite either but have set reminders on my phone to eat/take supplements.
Deidre

kristaeb
on 8/13/13 2:43 am

I was having the same problem, but forced myself to have something eat and drink because i didnt want my body to go into starvation mode. I know its hard when you just dont feel like anything. I know this feeling wont last forever so i am enjoying it now..Good luck hun...Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Marevic
on 8/13/13 2:49 am - Canada

Hungry or not, I make sure I eat. I am 10 weeks post op. I am not hungry either, however I make it a point to eat proteins with EVERY meal including snack. there are days where I only eat the protein.

good luck

Pawsitive_One
on 8/14/13 12:05 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Yes, my weight loss has stalled for a couple of weeks and I'm sure its from not quite getting all the daily protein in - even protein shakes have me almost gagging!  But I'm gonna toughen up, plug my nose, and down it'll go...sip by sip!

Thanks for the replies all!

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics