Protein Bars

sabrinastrength
on 8/24/13 9:44 am - Canada
Hey everyone!! Just wondering - at which stage is it recommended that we can eat protein bars? I'm at 3 weeks post op and so far so good!

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/13 9:58 am - Straford, Canada

protein bars are basically chocolate bars with a bit of protein.  When should you be eating chocolate bars again...

Sherri C.
on 8/24/13 11:19 pm
RNY on 04/05/13

I have struggled with protein intake since the beginning and it was recommended to me to buy  premier protein shakes and bars. They both contain 30g of protein but a retarded amount of calories...something like 270? Either way, my nutritionist said that it is a good way to bump up protein but not something you should have everyday. I had alot of complications and lost all my weight in less than 3 months. I've lost almost all my hair and was forced to shave my head. (Good thing I have a nice head and actually don't look to bad with not hair lol) So increasing my protein is a necessity for me at this point. Check with your Doctor or Nutritionist and see what they recommend for you and your cir****tances. I will have a shake or a bar now mostly after a workout or a good run/walk/hike. Makes all the difference in the world. Good Luck   Oh and to answer your question, it was about 5-6 weeks out when I started with protein shakes (premier from Costco) But keep in mind you'll only be able to have half at a time. They will keep for 24hrs in the fridge.

CCs_mum
on 8/26/13 5:58 am

Pardon me for being crass, in my opinion, that was a rude response for someone looking for help...

I have issues with my protein sometimes, especially when traveling.

I take a pure protein bar (180 calories, 20 g protein, 2 sugar (4 sugar alcohol if you want to count that too).

Please tell me where that is anywhere near the nutritional value of a candy bar.

There is a difference.

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/13 6:27 am - Straford, Canada

that is your opinion and you're entitled to it!  kiss  I was not attempting rude and don't think my response is any of your business! Here's an article that for the most part I agree with.  Read it and you might understand where my first post is coming from.

http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/7-nutrition-bars-worse-can dy-213500862.html

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/24/13 10:38 am - Windsor, Canada

I agree. Shakes are a much better option.  Real food is great too. Protein bars should be more when you have few choices to have in your purse. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

SassiestLassie
on 8/24/13 11:18 am - Nepean, Canada

Your first 8 months you are in your losing stage where everything comes easier.  Don't mess with this time.  After that most people I know do a protein shake though bars would probably do as well.  They are great at breakfast time

PaulaToronto
on 8/24/13 11:49 am - Toronto, Canada

Protein bars are not a regular staple for me and I did not eat them during the weight loss phase.  I keep them in my purse for long days out as a snack if I can't find other options. They can be a slider food and may leave you wanting more.  So early out you need to find something more nutritious for your 200 calories. They are really chocolate bars - so please watch out and not fool yourself. Shakes are a better choice especially this early out.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

jellyfishattack
on 8/24/13 12:01 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Yeah, I'm afraid protein bars are never "recommended", except in dire emergencies, which might come up a few times a year (or less) when you can already tolerate solid foods well, maybe on a long airplane ride or something like that.  They aren't made for  WLS patients, but pretty much people who let themselves be fooled into thinking that they are somehow more healthy than a chocolate bar, because 'protein bar'  sounds healthy. 

Compared to protein shakes, protein bars have little protein and a lot of sugar (unflavoured powders have none) and some fat (ditto) - that's why I assume they taste better than protein shakes & people do buy them.  They also cost an awful, awful, awful lot more per serving than a good quality whey protein isolate - like Almax's Isonatural unflavoured whey protein isolate that you can mix with skim milk and flavour with SF Da Vinci peppermint (my favourite flavour for shakes).

I've never had one because I think if I did, I might crave them as junk food, and convince myself that a few a week would be okay, when instead, I can make healthy meals to take with me in a cooler.  I have enough bad habits & temptations already....  ;)

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Mary A.
on 8/26/13 1:58 am

I guess I go against the grain of suggestions here. 

I eat a protein bar almost everyday for my mid morning snack...sure I could pack better alternatives...yogurt or cheese strings..but I always have a box of Zone Perfect at my work desk just in case, much better than falling prey to what's offerred in the coffee room during break.

They would not be a good source IMO until at least a couple of months post-op  The ones I consumer are 190 calories, with 13 grams sugar and 12 g of protein...

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics