Vitamins

Dale B.
on 9/3/13 10:52 pm - Canada

Lots of questions 

Do we take our vitamins to the hospital? 

If our medications are small , do they still have to be crushed? One of mine have an awful taste when crushed.

Cream soups on liquid diet - are they made with all water, or 1/2 water & 1/2 milk?

My booklet says no fat/sugar yogurt, is plain Greek yogurt OK?

When starting pureed foods, they don't mention fresh fruits only canned, Can we have fresh fruit pureed?

I'm just starting, there will be more lol

Dale enlightened

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/13 11:01 pm - Straford, Canada

TWH and St Mike's supply all meds you need, it may not be a good idea to try taking them without them supplying them anyway, esp right after surgery.  If you're concerned just make sure the floor nurse knows you're expecting a med of certain type.  They're pretty agreeable about that stuff in my experience.  

Meds don't have to be crushed if small, I was taking imovane at that time and took it whole (it was disgusting crushed).

At first I would try the soups with water, never know what pouchy will/will not tolerate.

Greek yogurt is da bomb, just make sure its 0% fat, plain.

Yes you can have small amounts of fresh fruits, I think they recommend canned due to nutrient levels printed on cans so you know exactly what you're taking in, re sugar/carbs.

Enjoy the ride!  

Dale B.
on 9/3/13 11:06 pm - Canada

Thanks, I have 1 wee****il surgery, and many questions rolling around in my head 

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

Catw
on 9/3/13 11:04 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Do we take our vitamins to the hospital? 

*You can, my nutritionist said to and said she'd check them but didn't really do that.

If our medications are small , do they still have to be crushed? One of mine have an awful taste when crushed. 

*If it's smaller than the tip of your baby finger, you can swallow them whole.

Cream soups on liquid diet - are they made with all water, or 1/2 water & 1/2 milk?

* Depends on what you can tolerate.  You can use milk, but use skim or 1%

My booklet says no fat/sugar yogurt, is plain Greek yogurt OK?

* You can get fat free plain Greek yogurt, it's the best choice.  Be prepared to try different brands as they all taste differently.  And you won't be able to chose until after surgery as your taste buds will change.

When starting pureed foods, they don't mention fresh fruits only canned, Can we have fresh fruit pureed?

* you can have fresh fruits pureed, but they suggest canned as they tend to be softer and easier to puree.  You will also notice that cooked fruit (i.e. apple sauce) is easier to eat than fresh (i.e. apple).  The less dense a food is, the easier it is to eat.  I still have problems with things like steak and pork chops.

Cathy

Note, my answers have a * as my browser won't let me change colors right now.

Dale B.
on 9/3/13 11:09 pm - Canada

Thanks, my mind in going crazy, I guess 3 weeks on Opti can do that 

jellyfishattack
on 9/4/13 1:05 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi Dale,

Everyone else has already answered your questions but, I had a few thoughts to add.

Do we take our vitamins to the hospital? No, but it might not be a bad idea...  I was given the most foul tasting regular (not a crushed chewable) crushed vitamin pill and I had to be given Gravol to avoid throwing up.  My surgeon, Dr. Jamie Cyriac, allowed me to forgo the next day's vitamins while I was in TEGH.

If our medications are small , do they still have to be crushed? One of mine have an awful taste when crushed.  They do have to be crushed unless they are smaller than a dime - the size of your stoma opening.  I would crush them all at first, just to be on the safe side.  I use flavoured water or decaf coffee to get the nasty tasting ones down.

A cautionary tale - bring all your meds to the hospital in their original containers.  I had to stay in the recovery room an extra 4 hours because I have severe sleep apnea (that's their rule), and didn't get to my room until around 7pm.  The hospital pharmacy closed at 8pm and they hadn't ordered all the meds I usually take - they had only gotten up the standard stuff the surgeon orders on the ward - e.g., morphine, etc., so they had to crush my own pills the first night in the TEGH!  I was dumbfounded.  I didn't exactly need all of my usual meds, but I did need some, and unless I had brought them, I would have been SOL.

Good luck!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

DeidreB
on 9/4/13 1:10 am

I have to crush one of my meds due to malabsorption - I drop a tsp of SF/FF chocolate ice cream in a larger spoon, let it melt and stir in the med powder then down it with another spoon of chocolate ice cream chaser.  It is nasty but the only thing that helps it go down is w ice cream of SF/FF chocolate pudding.

Nathalie_Can
on 9/4/13 1:12 am

Just a quick reminder about canned fruits, make sure they are in water and not syrup k?

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

jen1016
on 9/4/13 5:53 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13
As for bringing your all vitamins to the hospital - a friend of mine here in Ottawa, said she just took a picture of her vitamins and showed that to the dietician.

Good luck! My surgery is in 2 weeks!

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/13 6:03 am

fantastic questions and answers!  i wil try and save this thread for me to look at alter.

especially bringing your own chewable vits -- wow i cant believe they crushed vits for you to take!!  aweful!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics