So I met Dr.Sohi.......sleeve for me

Sassy75
on 9/27/13 10:18 am - North York, Canada

Hi everyone, 

i had my orientation sep 12and met Dr.Sohi today. He is very nice and informative. He said due to my health situation, I am not a candidate for the bypass and can only have the sleeve or lapband. I have decided to go with the sleeve. 

I did my PATTS today, will have a scope and sleep study mid October, the dietician/nutrition/social worker and dr.glazer early December then meet up with Dr.Sohi again early jan to hear all results. If I get the green light, I will have surgery probably February  he feels. 

Has anyone not given the green light? Been refused the surgery?

Zizzler
on 9/27/13 11:11 am

You know what is weird?  In Ottawa they will only do the RNY I am told.  How come it is so all over the place?  Like some places its 2 weeks of opti, some 3 and others its 4 weeks. There seems to be no consensus as to what is the best method.  I was thinking of the sleeve but was told Ottawa does not do it at all. I have heard you can lose a lot with the sleeve but that it is slower to come off than with the bypass.  But then like you say there are less side effects such as dumping etc.  Good luck with your surgery and I hope everything goes smoothly...

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Nanato2
on 9/27/13 9:48 pm, edited 9/27/13 9:49 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Ziller the standard at all hospitals is always the RNY however, there are some of us that due to medical reasons we can not have the RNY so instead of us not being allowed to have WL surgery the sleeve is allowed. Also the amount of weeks you are on Opti depends on your weight the higher the weight the longer you are on Opti. 

Everyone's experience depends on the person.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Sassy75
on 9/28/13 2:21 am - North York, Canada
Hi Zizzler,

That would be weird if they do not do it at all. If it is medically necessary they should. I know it is not common. Dr.Sohi said he has only done it 3 or 4 times.... That makes me super nervous!!! He said he is comfortable doing the procedure but still, nervous.
roxytrim
on 10/1/13 11:57 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Don't be nervous.  Dr. Sohi did my sleeve, I was his 3rd.  I have had absolutely no problems.  He works with another surgeon and they git'er done right!

Sassy75
on 10/2/13 1:17 pm - North York, Canada
Thank you so much for your reply roxytrim!!! It makes me feel better to actually hear from someone he has done this procedure on!!! Do you find your sleeve is just as successful as the RNY stats?
jen1016
on 9/29/13 8:00 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 09/19/13
My surgeon told me, the RNY is the " golden standard by OHIP" but clearly, if there is other health issues the sleeve could be considered. I know of three people here in Ottawa that have had the sleeve.

Sunny123
on 9/27/13 11:28 am, edited 9/27/13 11:30 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I haven't met my surgeon yet, will meet him Nov 7 and he is in Ottawa. 

The NP told me she was going to note on my file that the Sleeve be discussed due to my health issues and the history of my family.  So I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has had a Sleeve in Ottawa.

Believe the weeks on Opti has a lot to do with the patients weight and other physical details.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 9/27/13 12:04 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
Congrats on getting your first appointment under your belt I have heard just as many people have success with VSG as with RNY, so if that's what the Dr says is best then you are still getting a good option
I haven't heard of anyone being flat out refused surgery after doing appointments but I have talked to a few people in the TWH waiting room who have had to do multiple appointments for psychological reasons. But those were just delays. I'm sure once you get all your test results back even if you have a health condition you will still be approved - keep the faith!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Sassy75
on 9/28/13 2:24 am - North York, Canada
Thanks for the reply Katie!! I wonder what would result in follow up appointments for the social worker?!? Once I make upyind to do something, I want results quickly so this wait is definitely going to test me. )although I appreciate that I seem to be getting thru at a good pace)
Most Active
Recent Topics