Can't go without acid reducer

merry1
on 9/28/13 4:37 am - Canada

Does everyone take acid reducer?  I went off mine last week...the clinic said that since I wasn't suffering from reflux I didn't need it but over the course of the week it got worse and worse, last night was bad and I ran out to get my prescription first thing this morning! Yikes, I wasn't on them before surgery, I seemed to be fine with Tums.  Hard to imagine all that acid from a wee little stomach!

Laurie C.
on 9/28/13 5:11 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

totally agree, I went off mine for a month, felt yucky and went back on Prevacid, I think it will be for life but I'm good with that 'cause I always took Pantaloc before surgery.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Curious.George
on 9/28/13 6:11 am - Canada

Can you take the Prevacid in pill form?  Right now mine are chewable. I think they are more expensive than the pill form.

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

MadMax1010
on 9/28/13 7:15 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13

I had to go back on the Prevacid, lots of people have to take it longer than the 6 months, some a year, some for life. In my honest opinion it's a small price to pay for my RNY.

chipmunk_roasting
on 9/28/13 8:00 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

A-men!

I started it ten days after surgery, when I began having pain.  I'm tapering off, but still take it three or four days a week.

As you said, it's a small price ...

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

merry1
on 9/28/13 9:33 am - Canada

Thanks everybody, I can't imagine ever going off them again....I was so uncomfortable, you're right it is really painful!

Kelly D.
on 10/1/13 5:16 am - Toronto, Canada

In 2011, I had my RNY and my doc only gave me 6 weeks on Prevacid.  Started to get "grinding" pain after I ate, near pouch area.  Assumed (stupidly) that it wasn't anything to worry about.  WRONG!!  Perforated ulcer at the join of the stoma and pouch, ER surgery, week in ICU...........I will now be on on 2 Prevacid every morning for life

Most Active
Recent Topics