Pre-Opti Musings

gwynnkitty
on 10/13/13 3:37 am - North York, Canada

In 11 days, I "officially" start this journey. Meaning I do something tangible that leads to major change. Part of me feels like I should be nervous. Part of me feels like I should be wanting to have "food funerals". Part of me feels I should be anxious and upset.

I'm not feeling any of those things. I'm trying hard not to speculate on how I'll "do" on Opti - I mean, it is what it is. I know enough to know it's going to be difficult, and that for the first 5-7 days I'll hate everything, etc. But you know...I'm not even sure I will. I've been so limited in food choices for the past few years that I'm almost looking forward to Opti - I won't have to make any decisions based on food. Does that even make sense?

The only things I'm really concerned about are events that I have coming up - two of them after I start Opti. One is on the 26th (just 2 days after my Opti start), and the other is on November 7th - just 6 days before my surgery. I think the Oct 26th one is going to be the more difficult of the two, but I was given the advice to plan a shake right before the event, then ducking out a bit early and having my last shake of the day. I really hope that works. I'm a little concerned about whether or not my body is going to betray me (OptiTrots!) for that outing as well - I guess I'll just have to wing it, right? I'm also considering telling the friend who's throwing the event that there is a possibility of me having to pass altogether - though I don't really want to do that, obviously. (It's one of my best friends and past coworkers convocation - he's a Dr now! :) ) 

I'm somewhat concerned about complication rates (as a revision, I have double the chances), but at the same time, Dr Klein was VERY clear on the fact that he doesn't mess around; if he so much as suspects a leak, he'll take me back in. I feel confident in my surgeon and his process, so I suppose that's why I'm not afraid. 

Honestly....I feel like I'm in a good place, mentally. I have an amazing support system, I'm ready to make the changes necessary, and I know that if/when I need to talk to people who've been there, I have all of you. 

Pretty good place to be, huh? :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

kayakgirl
on 10/13/13 4:40 am - Canada

Great post! You seem to have your eyes wide open as you enter this last stage. Best of luck!

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Hennagirliegirl
on 10/13/13 5:13 am - Canada

Our situations are very similiar, I start optifast on Oct. 22nd for two weeks then have surgery Nov. 5 th with Dr Hagen. My surgeon will probably assist for your and yours for mine. Dr Hagen told me he that he always gets either Klein or Huynh for revisions. my revision is lapband to bypass.

It's interesting that you mention social events. When I got my surgical date several people in my life were concerned about my being post op for my 50th birthday (Dec. 6th) and thought that perhaps I should book after that. I gave it some thought and came to the realization that there is ALWAYS a reason to put it off, some celebration, some event. it's kind of like waiting til the next Monday to star that diet!

When all was said and done I realized that putting it off wouldn't make me any happier celebrating my 50th, it would allow me to overinduldge, feel good in that very moment, but still wake up the next day probably bigger.  I now realize that I can still celebrate, just not in my typical way, I will be 4 weeks post op, down some weight, and on my path to healthier living! So, happy birthday to me in advance for making the right choice,,,after all, had I put off my date then it would have been Christmas, then Easter would be on it's way, and on and on....

I also have great supports in place, which I'm sure will be helpful. I will even have a private nurse post op (my partner is an ICU nurse)

Like you I am nervous about optifast, but for me it stems from my many food funerals....my body is going to be in for a big old shock on the 22 nd,,,no doubt I'll have headaches. I am determined though, and actually getting sick of eating.

I guess I'll have 2 days of opti when you start. Cheers

Terri

gwynnkitty
on 10/13/13 5:28 am - North York, Canada

Yep, we're pretty close together - that's awesome! :) And yes, our surgeons will likely assist each other for us - so neat. :)

My birthday is at the end of January, and I see it very much the way you do. Whether it's Christmas coming up, my birthday, Easter, etc., there's ALWAYS going to be something 'coming up' that's going to be an issue. I'm more concerned with moving forward with my life than I am with worrying about those things, I guess. :)

Let's do this!! :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Zizzler
on 10/13/13 5:56 am

You can do it! 

Hennagirliegirl
on 10/13/13 6:00 am - Canada

Yes, let's do this!

Assuming you have a lapband, how long have you had it? What types of issues are you having with your band?

Terri

gwynnkitty
on 10/13/13 6:03 am - North York, Canada

I had a VBG, not a Lapband. I had that surgery (open) in May 2001. I basically have nothing left in my stomach - no band, no staples, etc. Left with ulcers (have been dealt with) and horrible acid reflux, as well as a ton of food intolerances. 

Looking forward to getting my life back, I can tell you that! :)

Hennagirliegirl
on 10/13/13 6:08 am - Canada

No doubt you are, sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm so happy for you being able to  move forward.

Terri

Sunny123
on 10/13/13 6:19 am, edited 10/13/13 8:12 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Your approach is sound and you have your eye on the prize.  I see nothing but success coming your way!

Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

smallisland
on 10/13/13 12:15 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hi gwynnkitty, our surgeries are very close.  I am Oct 30th and start Opti on Wednesday.  I had my final food funeral ....Thanksgiving dinner.  That being done I am ready to go. I have warned all those close to me that I will likely be grumpy! I get very grumpy when I don't eat.  I just hope the headache isn't too bad, luckily I have no special events coming up.  Best wishes on your Opti journey and see you on the bench

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active
Recent Topics