Introducing more foods

csmith74
on 10/18/13 3:21 am

Hello,

I have been trying to introduce different foods slowly into my meals as they have told me to do. My problem is my body doesn't  like the foods I'm introducing ie. turkey, chicken (sometimes my stomach can handle it and others it doesn't), toast with peanut butter (again sometimes it handles it and others it doesn't), even some cooked veggies don't go well. I'm struggling to get 60 gr. protein in as trying to find protein shakes/bars that agree with me isn't easy. I talked to my surgeon at my checkup and she told me to take it slowly when introducing the foods and it will get better (its been 2 1/2 weeks since I seen her and getting sick has slowed down but the feeling is around even after drinking water). Is anyone else having these issues? Any ideas on brands of protein shakes/bars that are easier on the stomach?

Thanks

Connie

Chelsea1
on 10/18/13 4:16 am - Canada
Hi Connie,

I am having the exact same issue. It's like I wrote the above post. I am almost 10 weeks out but not sure what you are.

My staples are cheese, Greek yogurt, milk. It's weird because I'm not a fan most dairy normally. For protein bars, I have been having pure protein from Walmart. Still too sweet but tolerable. Have you tried edamame? Good and packed with protein.

P28 protein bread is good too, sometime I get the foamies from that too.

I would like to hear what others say as well

Catw
on 10/18/13 4:22 am - Arnprior, Canada

I'm not sure how you are eating your meat.  But try cooked ground meat, it's easier to digest than slices.  And make sure it's moist, the dryer the food, the harder it is to digest.

And you will find that your stomach changes tolerances.  Part depends on what you've eaten already during the day.  May like it one day, but not the next.  Also try fish if you like it.

Cathy

Patm
on 10/18/13 5:05 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I find chili or any meat with a sauce the best. I can not eat chicken breast unless well sauced. Unfortunately protein shakes are individual. What I like you may not. My favourite is from iWindirect. You can get samples from them. I am not a fan of the soy one but you might be.

Check out the what are you eating thread. There are some newbies on it doing very well. You may also get ideas from the vets

BeckyJ58
on 10/19/13 12:17 am - Cobourg, Canada

Hi, Im about 10 weeks out and can't tolerate chicken.  Try chili or any other meal with ground beef.  Ive never had a problem with it.  It is my go to meal.

burg_vs
on 10/19/13 7:37 am
csmith74
on 10/21/13 7:10 am

Thanks everyone! I'll try your suggestions and see what happens :)

Foy
on 10/21/13 9:20 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

Some of the chicken or turkey is too dry and it upsets me. 

I am slowly introducing new foods but I find protein powder in my chili or soup or cereal helps me get my #s in.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics