Fears about surgery...

smallisland
on 10/24/13 2:55 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Well today i am officially finishing day 9 of Opti.  The fear of surgery is starting to set in...more than I thought it would.  This week my husband and I updated our wills (needed to be done) and it got me thinking....TOO much.  I have started wondering if my daughter would see me again after I say goodbye to her the morning of surgery.  I know fears are a normal part of the process but I thought I had dealt with mine.....I guess I  haven't dealt with them all.  

I have been aware of complications etc but the thought of death never bothered me until now.  I was supposed to see my therapist tomorrow and I thought I could talk it out then but he had an emergency and my appointment was cancelled.  He has been one of my biggest supports about the surgery and not having his input about this is  very difficult.  I will not see him again until after the surgery is over.

For all the vets out there...I really need to hear things will be ok.  I know this is normal but I am still feeling scared.  I just need to hear from others who are on the other side of this process and that they made it though ok.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Michele T.
on 10/24/13 3:12 am - Canada

What you are feeling is normal.  I was scared out of my mine the day before the surgery like you I have a daughter and husband and it scared be that I could be leaving them behind.  But I remembered why I was doing this surgery and it was for them.  To be healthy and live a long healthier life.  People on here use to tell me the same thing and I will share it with you.  There are risks to all surgeries they have to tell you about them.  It was truly the best thing I could have done for myself :) Good luck!

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

smallisland
on 10/24/13 3:16 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Thanks for the reassuring words Michele.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

time2changeme
on 10/24/13 3:27 am

What your feeling is completely normal!! I think it enters everyone's mind that is preparing for any kind of surgery.

For myself I knew that I was either going to die from being overweight or die from having the surgery. Yes, it is a risk

we all take, but  I don't think the surgeon would do it, if he felt the risk was greater then what the end results will be!

Sorry your appt with your social worker was cancelled!

Amarachi
on 10/24/13 3:29 am - Canada
Like you, this was one of my greatest fears but the risk of death is greater if i don't do it! I have six children, my youngest is only 3 but I cannot let fear control me. I am a spiritual person and I know God has everything under control.

I wish you peace! (Hugs) You can do this!
Mandalious
on 10/24/13 3:51 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Thank you for posting this.

I been feeling like this now. I am suppose to have surgery on Dec 3rd and I am having so many random thought bouncing in my head.

So scared. Im guessing its scared of the unknown and trying to have positve self talk.

We will be ok. There is no other option.. right.

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Catw
on 10/24/13 3:53 am - Arnprior, Canada

This fear is completely normal.  The fear of any big change is normal for everyone.  Yes there is a risk to having the surgery, but there is risk to walking down the street too.  If you are this far, you've already looked at why you are doing this, and why you can't keep going the way you were.  Go back and look at that again if you need re-assurance.  As someone said, if you were high risk during this surgery, the surgeons wouldn't do it.

To be honest, death wasn't my biggest fear, it was them cancelling the procedure.  But that was me, and probably because of what I have already survived.  Meningitis, epliglotitis, stupidity, car accident, gall bladder procedure and probably a few more things.

You're daughter will see you again after surgery, and cheer you on as you go through post up stages.  And I'm sure she'll keep you active too.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 10/24/13 5:09 am
Hey Sue , my dear! First of all congratulations on getting through Opti! You're awesome. I had the same feelings, one night I just BROKE down all tears thinking crazy things like " what if my last day on earth was spent cleaning my apartment for my post op life" so I wanted to write everyone letters but that felt too "real" to me. So I wrote one, similar to a will like you did. This was my first surgery EVER. I swear their were points were I was convinced I'd die. I told my family "if something happens know I'm at peace and I am happy I did this no matter what" but once I got to the hospital I had to let go. And put my destiny in fate's hands. I don't second guess myself every time I get in my car and I could easily get in an accident that could end my life.

During surgery my heart went into overdrive and my heart pressure blew through the roof and guess what? There was a whole team who went to school for years who knew exactly what to do! And I made it to the other side. It's the first thing I said to the nurse when I woke up (2 hours after surgery) I said "I made it!" With the biggest smile on my face. Think about all the beautiful things you'll be able to do soon because of this surgery. Because if you're like me , obesity is already killing you : physically, socially and emotionally.
spacial1
on 10/24/13 5:20 am - Sidney, Cape Verde

Hi  I was scared before my surgery too (Oct 7), but it went just fine.  You will be too, so try not to worry to much.  Once you get to the hospital it's all action... you change, you weigh in, then there's 2 nurses with you getting you ready... vitals, IV, aesthetician,  etc, then before you know it you are wheeled into OR, you'll see your surgeon have a chance for last minute questions.  He'll ask the team if they are ready, then the next thing you know you're out and waking up in recovery.  If anything hurts or you feel sick tell the nurse who is sitting right beside you the whole time, you are never alone. When you've come too enough, you are then wheeled to your room where a nurse is again waiting, and they get you all set up.  If you need something say so, don't wait. It's all good. 

You'll be glad you did it

All the best

KristieA
on 10/24/13 5:25 am - Orillia, Canada
Your fear is normal and you will make it though this hurdle. I am a single Mom (my son's Dad passed away 6 years ago) and I had a huge amount of reservation. In the end I knew I needed to do this to be here long term for him and to improve the present. Lack of mobility, moodiness due to pain meds, depression and inability to enjoy being a parent was not healthy for either of us.

That being said - I physically had to bite my tongue as I slid on the operating table and Dr.Smith asked me if I was OK and ready to be put out for the procedure. In the end it was the best decision I made for myself and for my son. 130 pounds gone and life is so much better.

Best of luck on your journey,

Kristie

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

Most Active
Recent Topics