So much for being "honest"

Sassy75
on 12/9/13 4:44 am - North York, Canada

Hi  everyone, 

I had my appointments with the sw/rd/rn and Dr.Galzer today. 

I thought it all went well, then as I was leaving the sw said "thanks for being so honest with me, I'll need to see you back in 4 weeks". She said that I need to work on my emotional eating..... I have no idea what she is talking about as I eat my 3 meals a day  (although larger portions than I should) and seldom snack. 

As I was waiting in the waiting area for my other appointments, every person she saw, she wanted back in 3 or 4 weeks.... 

Everything else went well and I believe that what is meant to be will be, I am just confused.... And a bit disappointed. 

anyone have any tips about emotional eating?!?!?!

newpossibilities
on 12/9/13 5:21 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
What does the sw mean by 'work on'? Did they give you any strategies or idea of what they wanted you to do between today and the next appointment?

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/13 5:23 am

ya - sounds like you could have been given a bit more detail as to what they wanted from you.  more direction is needed.  

Sunny123
on 12/9/13 5:54 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Being honest is going to increase your chance of success. 

I had 3 SW and 3 NUT appointment - sure I was disappointed but I knew it was all for the best.  They must have given you something to work on - for example mine was to cook on vegetable or have one vegetable with dinner.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Sassy75
on 12/9/13 5:56 am - North York, Canada

She gave me pamphlets about support groups and how to be a mindful eater. Even my husband was surprised. He turned to me and said "what does she think she heard!?!?" We are all overweight for a reason, and yes we do not eat "properly" at all times and I know there have been a few times in my life where I have eaten due to my emotions so I told her this. I have no reason to lie. Yes I am obese, yes I eat too much, no I don't snack, yes on occasion I have noticed myself eating due to being bored.... Everyone has done this at some point. I do not do this often, I do not do this daily. Maybe on a Sunday afternoon I glance in the fridge and pick up an apple and cheese.... Was I hungry?!? No, but I was bored.... Did I grab a chocolate bar? No...... I am baffled... Obviously I have issues with food, otherwise I likely wouldn't be in this situation but I have been very mindful of what I am doing and eating and I feel very discouraged by her interpretation and lack of direction.... And honestly, I was too confused to even say anything when she said she would see me back.

smallisland
on 12/9/13 6:19 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

I think many of the social worker's say this to everyone.  Most of us see them at least twice before going ahead.... They mentioned mindful eating at my orientation and at my appointmens...and they also encouraged me to go to the craving change workshop in my area.  The course just reinforces the mindful eating she mentioned and helped me to look for alternative strategies for when I was bored or upset.  How when one has an impulse to eat something one should put off eating it for 20 minutes and the craving will likely go away. These are the kinds of things I learned that were helpful.  I think they just want us to have all the coping skills when we start this journey to lose weight. Not to worry...it's all part of the process.  So many people I know have the same thing said to them at the clinic.

Best wishes.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

jolemalamb
on 12/9/13 6:22 am - Sutton West, Canada

I know its frustrating, and that you feel like you are being held back when you just want to get all of these appointments over with.

I  had her as well, and she asked to see me again in 6 weeks. I was angry at first, but looking back, she did me a huge favor. Take that 4 weeks to put those tools she gave you into use. Join some of those groups and look into the websites.  They WILL help you.  If you are an emotional eater now, how will it be after surgery? She really is just trying to help you succeed.

All the best

pugalootz
on 12/9/13 7:20 am - Canada

Join the club!  Of course we eat emotionally or we wouldn't be in this position!  

I also had to go back for a 6 week emotional eating check-up with Krish at HRRH.  It was fine. Everything else still went on as scheduled so it didn't delay anything as far as appointments go.  If Dr Glazer cleared you for surgery still call the surgeon's office and let them know so you can get in to see him, regardless of the SW visit.

When you go back, just have a plan of what you are going to say to not set off any red flags.  They just don't want to do surgery on someone who doesn't have a handle on their reaction to everyday life, when food is no longer a viable crutch.  It's all good.  DONT WORRY!!

Best of luck!

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/9/13 7:44 am - Windsor, Canada

7.5 years out and every day it is damn hard to stay the course.  It's not easy.

She's trying to give you some tools in your toolbox and although it seems like a huge wait, you'll have the entire rest of your life to deal with your food and head issues.  

Please learn as much as you can and work on your head issues.  Many people go back to their old ways after a few years.  Some people gain back all their weight.  It's easy.  Far easier than you'd think.  

It will only benefit you to learn about your issues now.  I wish you all the best in your journey.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Sassy75
on 12/9/13 7:47 am - North York, Canada

Thanks so much everyone for your feedback. I have an appointment on December 18 with the surgeon to get my date....assuming everything went well today. I am going to call them and postpone that appointment to be after my next sw appointment. No need to waste my time or his... Maybe someone "ready" can have that appointment. :( 

i think the reason why I am so frustrated is because I have been working on it all since he orientation to avoid this and get prepared. 

Enough complaining from me.... Time to fix this :)

Most Active
Recent Topics