11 months post op

only_angel
on 12/14/13 1:40 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

A few days ago was 11 months post op for me and even thought the weight loss has majorly slowed down Im determined to work harder to get to my goal. I am currently down 150 lbs and have 61 lbs to go until  I get to my goal. I have been feeling pretty great about myself lately :) I also have way more self confidence than I did at this time last year. The other day I had an older man come up to me at work ( I'm a cashier at walmart) I was polite and said hello and asked how his morning was going. He said it was good but kept looking at my stomach. I thought it was odd but ignored it and he walked away. He made a point to turn around and walk right up to me and stare at my stomach again, and said " you're kinda fat eh."

I was shocked. I honestly was speechless and dint know what to say until he said "why are you so fat? You really should lose some weight." All of a sudden it was like I was back to who I was before I had surgery and I just wanted to cry. But I reminded myself I am NOT that person anymore. I am NOT the girl who will just agree when you call me fat and then cry and stuff my face. So I looked him in the eye, squared my shoulders and said to him " Sir, you do not know me, what you said is very rude and for your information I have lost 150 lbs in the last year and I think that is damn good." Then I turned and walked away.

I have worked to damn hard and been through too much paid to get where I am today to be belittled by anyone! If I hadn't been at work at the time I probably wouldnt have been as polite as I was about it and I hope that man knows how lucky he is for that. 

Well my happy post seemed to turn into me venting lol I didnt realize I was still so angry about it lol. Anyways Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas (insert your beliefs holiday greeting here) :) and Happy new Year

Patm
on 12/14/13 2:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Wow what a major jerk. I am so impressed you stood up for yourself. Be very proud of what you have accomplished and will continue to accomplish

RidingFan
on 12/14/13 2:08 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

Good for you...I applaud your bravery in standing up for yourself​​  !  Merry Chrstmas and may 2014 be even better ;-) 

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

zephie
on 12/14/13 2:21 am - Moose Factory, Canada

I have used a come back for years now to "fat" comments....I might be fat but you're "ugly/an idiot/rude/ignorant/etc" and I can lose weight but I know that you're always gonna be "ugly/an idiot/rude/ignorant/etc"!!!!!!...ppl have consistantly never known what to say as their come back!!!...and now I have lost weight and they still are what they are...lol!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

Caroline K.
on 12/14/13 2:31 am

Yay for you! It's amazing how some people feel entitled to say anything that goes through their minds. My late grand-mother could be embarassingly tactless, and she justified it as being entitled due to her age. Maybe this bozo just has no governor on his mouth.

Zizzler
on 12/14/13 3:56 am

Good for you - I would probably have been too shocked to have said anything.  Used to work at Zellers for many years - so many people who think they are entitled to say anything to you.  And even though you sort of get used to some things its comments like that that always left me with my mouth hanging open - I never knew what to say.  I was scared if I would reply back I would start crying or swearing at the customer and lose my job.  What you did is perfect though, so way to go.  How come 99 percent of people are normal and then you get that one angry/rude customer?  I could never imagine talking to anyone that way so I just don't get it.  I always think that those are people who never worked a day in retail in their lives so they have no clue how awful they are as customers.  Well, at least now you have an excellent response if it happens again, which I hope it does not.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

spicy_cyn
on 12/14/13 4:27 am - Welland, Canada

I can only send a virtual hug. What a jerk. You did the right thing. I would of broke  down and cried. Merry Christmas and a very happy new year.

Mary Catherine
on 12/14/13 4:37 am

My husband had a friend who pointed at him and said that he had a big belly.  My husband looked right at him and told him that he had a big nose (which he did).  The guy was truly devastated.  Bullies like that do not expect to get bullied back.  Everyone has something that you can make fun of. 

People like that do not deserve any explanations.  You were kinder than need be.  Next time (and I hope there never is a next time) find something about the idiot to make them feel bad about their body.

4-Jane
on 12/14/13 7:28 am - Canada

I'm sorry this happened to you and am happy for your loss in 11 months, I hope that I will develope the moxy to stand up for myself like you did good job

Respectfully Jane
only_angel
on 12/14/13 11:29 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am very proud of myself for standing up for myself, which is something I would have never done before the weight loss. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics