When did you stop protien shakes

PepperBB
on 12/21/13 7:57 am - Canada

When is a good time to stop taking the 2 protein shakes a day? 

I am 7 weeks out and I still do them for breakfast and morning snack. 

I checked my literature and I do not see anything about when this should end. 

Many advice or input would be helpful! 

Thanks! 

Katie

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/13 8:07 am

i was advised that one has to monitor their daily diet and how much protein their whole foods consist of.  if you feel you are eating the required amount of protein you can then phase out the shakes.  

i am 6 weeks out and i know i still need 1 shake to make sure i get in my minimum amount of protein.  

only you can decide when you can completely phase out the supplement.

BeckyJ58
on 12/21/13 8:34 am - Cobourg, Canada

Hi Katie,  I was done to 1 protein shake by then.  Im just 4 months out and I think I will continue to  drink one protein shake in the morning eating more yogurt to replace the one drink.  Good luck

Becky

aidan
on 12/21/13 9:31 am - Canada
10 months out and I still have one a day but not as a meal replacement but in addition to my foods. I find it super helpful still to make sure I'm getting in enough protein.

PepperBB
on 12/21/13 10:00 am - Canada

This is good to know! 

I have protein powder, but I am doing well with the shakes. 

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

burg_vs
on 12/21/13 10:03 am

I am three months out and I have a shake everyday.  I drink it. In the morning  on my way to work.  And have it in addition to. Y food intake to make sure I get all the protein I need

chipmunk_roasting
on 12/21/13 8:49 pm - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Eleven months out, and I have a Premier Protein shake every morning for breakfast, adding in either Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for extra protein.   Whirl it in a blender with lots of ice, and it gives me the protein I need to start my day.

I started using Premier Protein shakes two years before surgery, to change a life long habit of not eating breakfast.   The shakes are the best way for me, personally, to get my day started.   I don't necessarily like them every day, and I often don't feel like having it first thing in the morning, but I have persevered and have made it a daily habit.   It's good for me (us) to eat first thing in the day, and this is the way I choose to do it.

YMMV.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Leanne1
on 12/22/13 12:49 am - Newmarket, Canada
I am 3.5yrs out and still drink shakes 2-4 times per week. Not necessarily because I have to but the days that I feel I need to up my protein for the day and also just cuz I like them! :-)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

PepperBB
on 12/22/13 2:08 am - Canada

I am the same way, for me, not only do I like them, but I was never a breakfast person, so this is perfect, I have it on my way to work. 

Thanks!

Katie H.

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/22/13 4:49 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

In Ottawa, they say they prefer you to get all of your protein from food by about 4-6 weeks out. I don't know how realistic that is though. Anyone I know that is through Ottawa, they still use shakes to top off their protein for the day or, as others have, they just prefer them for breakfast or an on the go snack.

Myself, I never liked the shakes and started using bars at about 4-5 weeks out. I use the premier bars from Costco. I can only eat half at a time & I don't have one everyday, depends on how my day goes, what I am doing & if I need more protein that day, etc.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Most Active
Recent Topics