Diabetes question

healthynewlife
on 2/5/14 12:30 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

I would like to hear from other people how they handled their diabetes during OPTI and after the surgery. I have a specific instruction from the DR. Agarwal to stop using daily insulin while on OPTI and at night to reduce it to a very low dose.  I know I would have to monitor it very closely and adjust accordingly, but I am afraid of very low “low’s” and don’t want to pass out at work or at home when I’m alone. I would appreciate any comments or stories if you are willing to share.

JK

Patm
on 2/5/14 1:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was on metformin so a little ifferent. I stayed on my meds all the way through opti. You might want to check with which ever docotr monitors your diabetes and see what they say about the caloric input

naths_toronto
on 2/5/14 2:10 am - Canada

Hi JK,

I was terrified of starting OPTI on insulin but honestly I did fine.  I was on 80 Lantus, 1000mg of metformin and I used humelog when necescessary, which was atleast once a day.  Had to take about 20-60 Humelog.  I bought some of those Dextrosal tabs. Check often, especially if you are doing anything different.  I had one low and was able to deal with it quickly.  Breath, you are going to be great.

healthynewlife
on 2/5/14 2:22 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for responding... I am on Novorapid 3x with meals (30ml), 2 pills of Metformin in the morning and Lantus at night 140 ml.  Dr is reducing my Lantus to 30ml at night and no Novorapid...it is very scary for me.  I bought Dex tablets, I have them everywher, just in case...

JK

TanyaLH
on 2/5/14 5:53 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

Hi,

I am out of Guelph as well and saw Dr Agarwal. I was also on Novarapid 3x day and 1000mg Metformin 2x day and 140 Lantus at night. I didn't take Novarapid while on Opti and he reduced my Lantus to 30ml as well, I did continue with the Metformin though. Now I take nothing for diabetes .

You really have to monitor your sugars really close. Trust Dr Agarwal, he knows his stuff!

All the best to you, you are almost there!!

Tanya

healthynewlife
on 2/5/14 7:55 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

That would be my dream not to take any meds...or at least to reduce them. My biggest reason for the weight loss surgery is to be healthier so I can have a different lifestyle, to be more active.  I am taking so many pills,  sometimes I feel like a walking pharmacy. Thanks for your response. 

Paddycke51
on 2/7/14 6:53 am - Mississauga, Canada

I was on the same as u.  3 x rapid and 65 landis at night.  2ooo mg metformin

im 9 months out 

they told me to1/2 my medication while I was on opti which I did, and I was fine. Just take your readings like normal.  They said it I had four readings below 4.5 then to call your centre.

but I was fine

was not on anything when I left the hospital.  Hopefully u will be the same. Best of luck

its the best thing I ever did for my health

Paddtcke51    
highlandbear
on 2/5/14 7:37 am - Canada

I was on two different insulin and the dosage was very high and once I started the Opti I was told to stop all insulin and I never had a problem. I am over 4 years out now and if I can keep my readings good until Nov. than it will be 5 years of no highs than I will no longer be consider a diabetic. It is an amazing feeling to think I could be clear. You have to have normal readings for 5 years to be cleared.

healthynewlife
on 2/5/14 8:05 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Wow that's awesome. Good to hear first hand what is possible.  Thanks

zephie
on 2/5/14 11:03 pm - Moose Factory, Canada

It is very important to check your sugars often during this process. Dextrose tabs are a good idea. You will figure out how much Novorapid you will need as you go along, I still take Lantus (3.5 months out) but thats it. My daughter (7 months out) doesn't have diabetes anymore. So there is light at the end of the tunnel for us all!!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics