I need to smarten up

Alice-58_.
on 2/17/14 2:04 pm
VSG on 02/26/13

Almost a year out of VSG and have noticed the past 1-2-3 weeks, appetite/cravings coming back. I have got lazy and not weighing cheese, meat or measuring yogurt/cottage cheese..drinking more coffee, less water...not eating as slowly as I should  and I've quit journaling. I have lost almost 70-80 lbs in past year but scales have completely stopped moving..creeping up a pound or 2 in fact in past week. So this evening, before this gets out of hand, I sat down, got out and studied my clinic papers and wrote out a BACK TO BASICS LIST. 1) NO MORE COFFEE 2) WEIGH/MEASURE EVERYTHING THAT GOES INTO MY MOUTH 3) 1.5-2L H20 DAILY 4)EAT SLOWLY AND CHEW WELL 5)JOURNAL EVERYTHING I EAT/DRINK 6)GET BACK INTO MY TREADMILL (I HATE EXERCISING).

I am 55 and have gone from a size 22 down to a size 16. Cannot let myself slide. I feel so good. I need words of support/encouragement. Even get angry with me if you like. I need to hear it.

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

JJ_
on 2/17/14 6:10 pm

Welcome to the reality of WLS.  This tool that we have been given is there for us to use.  However, diet, vitamins, exercise, etc. are all things that we must be vigilant about.  FOR LIFE, not just until you lose another 20 lbs.   Congratulations on noticing your behaviour and determining to do something about it now and not 6 months from now.  Thank you for recognizing the signs of backsliding early.

Judy

Nanato2
on 2/17/14 7:30 pm, edited 2/17/14 7:31 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Alice

We are the same age, both had VSG and I am just a year out. 

I know what you are going through and yes the appetite does come back along with all the cravings for those foods that got us in trouble in the first place. I have also had my slip up and yes the scale does slow down or stop.

I am also going back to basics and have started tracking as per the dietician however, I have always given myself a few pounds up or down because there are times just with water retention etc. that you could be up a few pounds.

As for exercising can you try and find something you like I hated to exercise myself but I have found spinning classes and I love it I also like aquafit.

There is no reason for anyone to get angry with you we all slip up or stop tracking etc. we are human the good thing is you noticed it and are doing something about it.

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/17/14 7:34 pm - Windsor, Canada

Welcome back.  

Sounds like you are in what I call the "welcome to real life stage".  The good thing is that you are indeed, completely normal.  You are deciding to kick yourself in the butt and get on track.  Only good can come of that. It's those that choose to bury their heads in the sand that are going to be in trouble.  

Myfitnesspal is your best bet. Aim for at least a diet of 40% protein and no more than 30% carbs. (Personally I aim for 20-25% carbs). Get back to basics like you said.  

The what are you eating thread here might be helpful for you as well. 

I hope you'll be more active here.  You have a lot to share with newbies here that don't get this stage of surgery.  

All the best, 

dawnie

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Patm
on 2/17/14 8:26 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good luck on getting back on track. Perhaps as the weather gets better you will be able to get outside more. A little more interesting than a treadmill. Ease off the coffee slowly. Lack of caffeine can give you a major headache. I was actually recently told a couple of coffees would not be bad

Curious.George
on 2/18/14 3:13 am - Canada

I am 9 months out and although I have lost 90 lbs. the scale seems to be "stuck"!!!  Thanks for sharing. I will start weighing, measuring and writing it all down again. Back to basics I go!

Referral Date: May 29, 2012;  TWH     Orientation: June 19,2012;     Nurse Practitioner Group Session and Social Worker Initial Assessment: September 25, 2012;     Nurse Practitioner One-on-One and Psych. Assessment: January 18, 2013;     Met with surgeon: March 8, 2013;     Pre-Op scheduled: June 20,2013;   Surgery scheduled: July 17, 2013!    Surgery Completed!

Mandalious
on 2/18/14 5:24 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Its a life time journey. I cant even imagine what its like at one or two years out. Im a little over two months and I have to be on myself. So easy to let things slide.

Congrats you are aware and on it.

You will do great!

Cheers
M

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Onward and
Downward

on 2/18/14 8:59 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I hear you, Alice.  I'm right there with you.  All the best getting back on track. I'm trying to do the same thing. Haven't gained but I have stopped losing as well. Good luck to you!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Mary A.
on 2/19/14 5:12 am

KUDOS to you for realizing that you have slipped for a moment and are making the corrections quickly

I am 5 yrs post-op and I have regained 17lbs....this past fall winter was horrible, with a car accident, etc etc...so I appreciate those of you who put it ALL out there for others to read and pay attention to.

I appreciate your honesty and #6 of your list...well I have been meaning to get that state of the art treadmill out..and you may JUST have inspired me to do so.

All the best on your way back to the road.~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Alice-58_.
on 2/21/14 3:10 am
VSG on 02/26/13

I am a nurse and just finished a 12 hr DDNN so not getting to reply till now. As usual, my OH friends have not let me down. Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support. I have been following my Back to Basics plan and scales are showing it. Someone on here a couple of years back called the 1st year the Honeymoon stage. I can so see what she meant. Now comes the making it work stage as you have all said. Thanks for the support. I plan to check back on this site routinely for continued support. 

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

Most Active
Recent Topics