A normal day

needmylifeback
on 3/25/14 10:38 pm

Hello everyone 

As my surgery date gets closer, I have started wondering what a normal day will be like the first few weeks home???

i have read many posts where people state that it takes them all day to get in their food and water.  Well that's all I can picture now lol is my whole day will  at the table trying to get in all my food and water

So can any post ops share what the first few weeks are like.  For example should I feel well enough to run errands, do some house work or shopping?

I am so excited for my new life I am worried I may rush myself to get back to normal and end up doing harm

thanks for the advice 

Ref sent March 27th. Orientation June 27th 2013. Nurse Consult Aug 19. Social-worker and nutrition class Sept 3  SLEEP study Sept 3rd  Doctor Consult Sept 27th...canceled, now Nov 11. Social worker (2ndappt) Oct24   Dietitian Oct 24  Physio appt Dec 13  and final windsorappt post op class Dec 19 Surgery April 8th

Monica9811
on 3/25/14 10:56 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Personally it will all depend on how you feel. I had surgery Wednesday. Took my last pain med Thursday night and was discharged Friday. No nap and no pills.  Went to Costco Saturday and into the office for an hour Monday. It is an all day thing in the beginning getting your protein and liquids in but it gets easier as you go through each stage. Good luck with surgery and listen to your body when you get home. You will know when you feel up to moving around and when you will need to rest. 

Catw
on 3/25/14 11:00 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Each person has a different recovery.  Some are out of the house the day they come home for a few minutes, some not for a bit longer.  The biggest thing is to listen to your body.  You won't be doing any major shopping in the first few weeks, but you should be able to do some light errands.  The trick is to listen to your body, when you are tired, rest.

You will need to constantly be sipping throughout the day, as you won't be able to drink a lot at any one point and you need to keep hydrated.

Cathy

dragongirl_76
on 3/26/14 12:09 am

i took the full 6 weeks off work and im glad i did because i was sooooo tired and had zero energy.

i had trouble getting all of my water in, so i think i was dehydrated a bit, which would explain the lack of energy.

i napped every day. was not able to do lots of housework, nor did i feel like going out and walking around the mall, stores etc.

i would sip all day long from the same water bottle. it felt like an eternity! i was not sitting at a table of course, but food and drink did take up the majority of my day.

Foy
on 3/26/14 12:29 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

I was off 4 weeks and the first few days were really getting my head around sipping and eating times. I really didn't feel myself until the 3rd week and took it slow. I was walking but not really running a lot of errands, just small things. 

Just listen to what your body says and don't do heavy lifting, you just had surgery and people often push and end up pulling a stitch or hurting something. Do the program, read the literature and don't try to fast track, your body will heal and you will get back to your new normal if you let it heal first :)

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

hibbyangel
on 3/26/14 10:55 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

I took 6 weeks off because I am a PSW and wasn't recommended to go back before then. The first week was rough..pretty much ate and drank and slept..if I slept to long then it was a whole new ball game because I missed timing on vitamins etc. i also battled low sugar and had the shakes a lot. once I figured out what was happening things got much better. Second week I was buzzing around the house and doing some errands, in general I had more energy. By week three I saw my surgeon, he cleared me to exercise..I started training for a 5k. I took it slow but day by day I got stronger and stronger. By week 4 I was bored at home, had a pattern of eating drinking vitamins vs life. It went by quickly..kind of like the past 8 months. Good Luck..everything will fall in to place!

~Brittany

Most Active
Recent Topics