if you could choose

Cookies-and-Cream
on 4/8/14 3:17 pm

since the topic is very active lately... Say you could actually choose what you want , sleeve or RnY, what would you choose ?

birdiegirl
on 4/8/14 9:50 pm

I think this is a bit of a loaded question.....because you really don't know how you will react to any of the surgeries or really how it is to live with them until you are several years post op

I had my choice of all three of the big surgeries 5 years ago.....I spent a lot of time the first 3 years or so questioning if I made the correct choice for me......

DS was an easy no for me.....I really dislike the taste of fatty things.....eating a pound of bacon at a sitting would never thrill me.....I eat 3-5 pieces at a sitting now and its enough

VSG is usually the one I questioned myself on....but needing to lose 160 pounds and with severe GERD made this surgery a poor option for me

So I chose the RNY.....there are times I wonder......but now ,truly, I am just thankful for the gift I have....and my ability to use it fully....and the new life presented to me......

Its too easy to look from afar at what we perceive are greener pastures......so I stopped wondering and work the tool I have been given

I think a really good way of gauging the life of the different surgeries is to look at the "what are you eating posts"...on all of the forums.....and if you look you will find one of the posts on the RNY, VSG and DS forums.( as well as the Ontario forum which will have VSG and RNY people responding)...and read back for a week or so to see what people actually eat at 1 month to 5-6 years post op......especially the 5-6 years post op people....because that is what your life will look like......( note I am trying to lose so my calories are a little lower then my maintenance amount...( 1500-1800 or so)

Then make your choice.....and don't look back......it wont do you any good.....just use the tool you are given to good health

KerryF.
on 4/8/14 10:11 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

for me the only answer was the one that is considered the gold standard - the best - the one where I will be most successful. Because be damned if I'm going to fail again. I pushed to have the absolute most I could get from the surgery tool.  and every professional I spoke to including my family doctor was RNY it's the one with the most proven statistical results.  some cubic Zirconia diamonds are pretty darn expensive and look REAL NICE...... but for me I want a real diamond

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

reliena
on 4/9/14 1:09 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Aww, Kerry, I get what you are saying, but there are lots of success stories with VSG. For some of us, it's the only option. I'm just going to do my part to make sure it's my gold standard is all ;)

Referral 08/13, Orientation TWH 09/18/13, SW 09/26/13, NP 09/26/13, Surgeon Appt 12/13/13, MRI 01/06/14, Nut Class 01/14/14, Nut 01/20/14, Scopes 02/21/14, Psych 02/25/14, Dr. Urbach 03/28/14, PATTS 04/15/14, SURGERY 05/06/14!!! 

Hennagirliegirl
on 4/8/14 11:48 pm - Canada

I wouldn't "choose" I would listen to the experts that have the knowledge base to make the proper choice for me.

We choose what we eat, how much we exercise, how compliant we choose to be etc...... the bariatric team chooses the best surgery for each of us based on our hx etc.

Terri

Test

zephie
on 4/9/14 2:29 am - Moose Factory, Canada

I was given the opportunity to choose. So I spent months and months researching, talking to other WLS patients, gathering all the info I could then talked to the surgeon for his opinion for my situation. Then I took some more time to make an informed decision. I chose RNY for myself...not sorry I did...it has been a god send.  Educating yourself is key in this whole process...each person needs to know and understand their own bodies, health issues.  This and other forums are so informative but doing your own research is essential.

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

Laurie C.
on 4/9/14 6:06 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

RNY was obvious for me, I'm happy, fairly fit and no longer fat.  I think the Bariatric Centre's have spent a lot of time perfecting their craft.  Why question?? 

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/9/14 9:46 am - Windsor, Canada

I'm very happy over all with my RNY and even now in hindsight, I would not change it. 

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Onward and
Downward

on 4/10/14 3:40 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I wanted a VSG before surgery but they told me I had to have an RNY. I didn't want to delay things by fighting it, and the surgeon gave me the reasons he doesn't recommend VSGs unless absolutely necessary, so I got the RNY.

I'm SO happy now that I got an RNY. Yes, I'm a dumper, and I'm really happy that I am because it's great behaviour modification for me.  I've had no complications (although I think I might have had a gallbladder issue recently, but that can happen to anyone who loses a lot of weight quickly so I don't consider that a "complication"), and great results.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the RNY with no doubts.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

cutekatie
on 4/10/14 7:28 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I didn't choose the surgery but I am very happy with what I got - RNY.

I am very apprehensive of other surgeries simply because not enough of them are being done and I want my surgeon to be very very skilled when he started rearranging my insides :)

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active
Recent Topics