Thoughts on "New Whey Liquid Protein"...

Daisy_does_it
on 5/9/14 8:25 am - Scarborough, Canada

Hello everyone, I would appreciate your thoughts on this product.  I'm still pre-op.

It's a 3.2 oz liquid supplement with 42 grams of protein per serving.  Other specs: 0 fat, 0 sugar, 2 gr carb, 180 cal.  It's lactose free, gluten free and caffeine free.

It seems like a good choice.  Thoughts?

Many thanks!!!

Needanewbeginning
on 5/9/14 8:38 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I think Lora aka ****rogirl will be able to best reply to your question about this type of protein drink. There are some hard facts on these type of products. I know my centre does not promote these at all, they actually tell you to stay far away from them. 

Lora, would you add your info from a past post? 

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/9/14 11:50 am - Windsor, Canada

Bad idea. 

They are promoted for us in the media but it is well known that we don't absorb collagen based protein very well. We might be absorbing 1/5 of the protein.  It's made with cheap crappy protein. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Karen M.
on 5/9/14 9:42 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Exactly what Dawn said - Protein from collagen is not easily absorbed and it's crappy. The best type of whey protein to look for is the isolate. It's partially broken down allowing for easier absorption.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 5/12/14 5:02 am
On May 10, 2014 at 4:42 AM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

Exactly what Dawn said - Protein from collagen is not easily absorbed and it's crappy. The best type of whey protein to look for is the isolate. It's partially broken down allowing for easier absorption.

I agree with Karen and always note that RNY patients don't absorb much more than roughly 26-30 grams of protein at a time, so anything more than that like you have indicated is just $$ and protein down the toilet (factually not figuratively).

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Daisy_does_it
on 5/9/14 11:12 pm - Scarborough, Canada

Thank you ladies!  

This product is made from a "protein matrix" whi*****ludes whey protein isolate.  I assume it's the other proteins listed that make it an inappropriate choice.  

I will only look for products solely made from whey protein isolate.

Out of curiosity, what exactly about the other proteins that make it so bad?

Thank you very much....I really appreciate your insight.

Karen M.
on 5/9/14 11:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It's the very small amount of actual whey isolate that's used in the product that makes it an inferior choice. Whey isolate is partially broken down already, making it much easier to absorb not just for us, but for everyone. Collagen protein is basically created from animal connective tissue and fat, as I understand it. Ummm.... ew.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Daisy_does_it
on 5/10/14 12:33 am - Scarborough, Canada
Thank you! Very informative!
Diminishing Dawn
on 5/10/14 1:00 am - Windsor, Canada

And just for your own knowledge, the Centres only want Whey Protein Isolate or Whey Protein Concentrate forms used.  (Unless you have an issue with whey, then they will say soy isolate).

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics