Final decision made - not going to do it

taniagirlca
on 5/17/14 9:43 am

Hi all,

I have decided not to go through with the surgery. Feeling relieved as I was sitting on the fence for quite a while. I have realistically 60 pounds to lose to be healthy so I am going to try a last ditch effort at losing it on my own. Bought a fitbit and feeling motivated. I will ask though to see if I can defer my surgery just in case, and hopefully not to have to go through another year and  a half of testing and waiting. Has anyone else deferred their surgery? I have been watching people i know who have had surgery and I am not feeling convinced its the right decision :(

Hope no one judges me for not going through with it, I know it has been such a blessing for others and my hats off for all those who have reached their goals

highlandbear
on 5/17/14 10:56 am - Canada

If you do not feel ready than you are making the right call and do not let anyone talk you into it. You are the only person who knows if they are ready for it and you may just lose the 60 pounds if you get motivated. I know people who called it off as they were going into the operation. Better to do it now than at that time. I wish you the best and find a gym you like or a sport and just keep moving. Track your food also and you will do it.

Laurie C.
on 5/17/14 11:01 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

You are completely right, you have to be certain.  All the best and good luck.

The weather is starting to get nice, try walking to start, it's my favourite activity.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

providence
on 5/17/14 12:14 pm
RNY on 03/20/14

If you are feeling relieved, then that tells you that you are making the right decision. I personally envy you, and wish that I had been able to take the bull by the horn and not have the surgery. I am 8 weeks out and not enjoying any of this. I have lost some weight, but am truly wondering if it is/was really worth all the pain, the tests, and now not being able to eat anything but popsicles for the past week or so. I am going to see the NP at our bariatric clinic, am having many problems. Also, having the surgery opened another ball of worms, and now I have to have more medical tests that I had not expected (not to do with the surgery, some may say it is a good thing to "find" things early, however my anxiety is beyond 10/10 right now). Sorry for the long response, but just want you to know you are supported either way and I wish the very best.

Blueiiis
on 5/17/14 1:14 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I am sorry you are having problems.  Hope all turns out ok. 

taniagirlca
on 5/18/14 2:20 am

Sorry to hear that Providence, I hope it gets better for you. Thank you very much for the support. Keep us posted on how you are doing ;)

gonna_B_thinner
on 5/18/14 2:06 am

If you feeling unsure about the surgery and feel not ready for it, then your doing the right thing not going through with it.  You very brave to decide that,  this has to feel right for YOU.  I know that for me I first found out about this kind of surgery being an option for me about 5 years ago, a friend had the surgery in the states.  She lost alot of weight and I was buying her old "fat" clothes and I was trying them on loving the new clothes but feeling sad that it wasn't me who had lost the weight.  I wasn't ready for it yet at that point even a couple of years ago I still wasn't ready, then last year I was having so much back pain and leg pains that I couldn't live like this any more and had to do something.  Everyone has to come to the choice of having the surgery on their own so that it's best for them because they are the ones who have to live with the choice.  I wish you well in your weight loss, take care.

HarvestMoon1974
on 5/18/14 2:24 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I backed out the first time I seriously considered it. Something didn't feel right to me at the time. I ended up going through with it a few years later. Now I see that the surgeon I was originally considering is no longer performing WLS. I'm not sure why he stopped, but perhaps I was lucky I changed my mind when I did.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

Zizzler
on 5/18/14 4:29 am

It must feel good to reach a decision, I know you have been struggling with this for a while. No judgement here, as I know how hard it is, and confusing too.  Took me over a decade of this being recommended to me before I made this decision and I still have moments of doubt sometimes.  Maybe you are just not ready or maybe it is just not right for you, only you can decide that.  I have heard of other people delaying the surgery for a while due to various reasons, maybe you could do that in case you change your mind.  Would not want to have to the tests and everything all over again.  I got a fitbit recently too and I really like it a lot, very motivating a fun. Hope you continue to post on the board, you seem really nice and I enjoy having you around.  Take care and enjoy that fitbit :0)

taniagirlca
on 5/18/14 9:24 am

thanks Zizzler, maybe we can be fitbit pals?

Most Active
Recent Topics