amount that a pouch can hold

reenie33
on 6/21/14 12:44 am

Ive a question, sometimes I am able to chug water, about 6-7 swallows medium sized, say maybe at most one cup of fluid. Sometimes I can only sip a bit and have to hold the water in my mouth until I can swallow it. Other times I can eat a fair bit , while other times I cant. I understand about how fluids constantly go through us, but why is it that I can on some days and not on others. I am afraid that Ive ruined my pouch. I can also eat fairly quickly, which isnt good. So I have to try and slow down focus and chew. Have I ruined my pouch?

CHELLEYGIRL
on 6/21/14 1:34 am - PALMDALE, CA

I am the exact same way. I am about three years out from surgery. I really don't think you've ruined your pouch! I can drink flavored water more quickly than regular water, which is weird to me. But sometimes like you said, i have to hold a sip in my mouth... I can't explain it. :) 

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

reenie33
on 6/21/14 3:04 am

I guess I am afraid Ive ruined my pouch because it is the very real fear of regaining that Im sure everyone has

CHELLEYGIRL
on 6/21/14 6:52 am - PALMDALE, CA

Yes. I had that fear of regaining at about 6 months out when i hit my first plateau, I have gained 10 pounds back, but thats my own fault by eating junk food waaaaaay to often. Now I am getting back on track and getting my eating under control. My dear you haven't ruined your pouch!!!!! 

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/22/14 12:59 am - Windsor, Canada

Regular water sits heavier than "cut" water for many. My husband couldn't even drink plain water for

a few months.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

CHELLEYGIRL
on 6/23/14 1:25 am - PALMDALE, CA

Thanks, that makes perfect sense! 

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/22/14 12:58 am - Windsor, Canada

That's pretty normal.

It can depend how bloated you are and what you are eating. Usually dense protein fills  you up way more and quicker than slider foods.   Choice of what you put in your pouch is KEY!

Slowing down is key.  TOo many of us eat too fast again.

Your pouch is fine.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mary A.
on 7/3/14 11:58 pm

all pouches are different and your surgeon would have created the suitable pouch size for your body etc.....however, after reading your post I thought....doe you still chew your food 25 times each bite?  Or are you hurrying through not giving it a 2nd thought...reason I am asking is that at 5 1/2 yrs post-op I still have to make a conscious effort to remember to take my time and chew, chew, chew.

Since you have taken time to post you obviously relaize that there may be a couple of aspects to your daily eating that you need to reign in or possibly just take a closer look at.

I don't think you have "ruined" your pouch..you just need to get back to basics~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics