Plateau already??

michellecowles
on 7/1/14 8:29 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

I know this question has probably been asked a MILLION times, but this friday I will be 3 weeks out of surgery. Currently I'm on my pureed phase of the diet, but for the last week I've noticed my weight hasn't changed at all. When I first got out of surgery the weight was falling off, and it just seems to have stopped... I don't know if this is normal, or I'm just being too dependent on the scale. 

I'm eating everything I'm supposed to, I'm drinking all of my fluids, I'm taking all of my vitamins, so I'm not sure if this plateau early on is normal. Some insight would be nice! 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

Karen M.
on 7/1/14 9:05 pm - Mississauga, Canada
JJ_
on 7/1/14 9:42 pm

Ditto.

If the scale is upsetting you, put it away and only weigh at your medical appointments.  Take your measurements.  This will probably not be the only time that you will plateau.

Judy

Monica M.
on 7/1/14 10:20 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

google "3 week stall wls" and i bet you'd get 1,000,000 hits. its the most common of all the plateaus.

Karen M.
on 7/1/14 11:25 pm - Mississauga, Canada

My "yes" links to approximately 10K links on this topic on OH alone. Gotta love the little search button at the top :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Monica M.
on 7/1/14 11:29 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

gotta love it.

lalalalaura13
on 7/1/14 10:54 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi Michelle - yes that is normal so don't fret too much about it.  And I agree with the other post - having a scale during this time I'm sure can be very discouraging at times.  I purposely didn't buy one - as much as I'd like to know how much I've lost, it's taken an immense amount of pressure off.  There will come a week that you won't lose any lbs but the inches is another story all together.  I had lost several inches all over and yet nothing had moved on the scale in two weeks time.  I only get myself weighted at my follow-up appointments.  Don't be discouraged - just keep up what you're doing, drink as much as you can and try and get up and move as much as possible!  Stairs are good if you can manage.  I used to hate taking the stairs but now I can do it and not get winded - the benefits you'll reap from doing this are going to be so worth it! Keep it up!

reenie33
on 7/1/14 11:36 pm

I seldom weigh myself. I suppose it is due to all of the past dieting Ive done, where you work your butt off only to find you have gained 2 lbs or only lost 2 lbs. So I generally stay away from that THING!. I get officially weighed at the clinic and surgeon's. I do weigh about once a month to get a ballpark figure (always the same time and naked DR.OZ say's that 6:30 am is the best time to weigh as this is generally the time where you weigh the least) I find I am doing awesome and my determination is strong. We will all go through stages where weight remains static, due to amount of exercise, water intake, salt intake, and medications as well as food, hea****er retention etc. Try to be easier on yourself as stress will also play a role with cortisol adding to belly fat. If you know you have ate as the plan dictates and had your water and worked out. Then there should be no need to weigh yourself so much. Be kind to yourself. Wouldnt you rather weigh once a month and say holy crap!Ive lost 20 lbs than see a 1-3 lb gain somewhere along the month that will disappear?  

Poppios
on 7/2/14 1:02 am
I was weighted 3.5 weeks after surgery and was down 34 pounds. I then went to my family doctor at 6 weeks and was down another 3 pounds.... THREE. I somehow am down another shirt size though so while I don't understand this magical jibberi**** seems to still be working. Helps I don't own a scale also. :P
Most Active
Recent Topics