What meds do you take after surgery?

Blueiiis
on 7/6/14 12:33 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Wondering what medications the typical RNY patient is prescribed after surgery? I assume pain medication if some sort... What else? TIA :)

truckingbride
on 7/6/14 3:55 pm - Harriston , Canada

I am two years out and I was prescribed nothing by my surgeon for pain post operatively.. I personally didnt need anything.I was prescribed my PPI

Our program (Guelph) has a pharmacist that sees you before d/c in hospital to discuss home meds upon d/c. I didnt start on my prenatal vits right away I think there might have been a reason for that but I dont remember.

sellarsgal
on 7/6/14 8:36 pm - Oshawa, Canada

If you're talking about during your hospital stay, the first day and nite you are given morphine, The next day they give you that sickly sweet pink baby tylenol. Most people have trouble with it so you can dilute it. Some people don't need or want anything for pain. 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Caroline K.
on 7/7/14 12:09 am

I needed anti-nausea meds for the first day, in addition to painkillers. Once I was home, I switched to extra-strength Tylenol and didn't need the prescribed pain meds. I was also prescribed an antacid.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

redviking
on 7/7/14 4:25 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

How did you know you needed an antacid.  Once in a while, I get bad heartburn. Should I tell the pharmacist just in case?

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Caroline K.
on 7/7/14 4:34 am

I already had acid reflux, and I think my surgeon likes to prescribe it for the first few months to cut down on the chances of an ulcer. Talk to your surgeon and internist.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Mrs_Rolo
on 7/7/14 7:18 am - Waterloo, Canada

I just had surgery in Guelph on Thursday.  My surgeon put me on antacids for 6 Months to prevent ulcers.  He also prescribed percocets, but I didn't even fill that prescription as I feel good.  He also prescribed stool softener.  I did not see a pharmacist.  I believe when you back to see the nurse for your one month follow up she tells you at that time what vitamins you require.

Hope this helps!

Karen M.
on 7/7/14 1:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

I had a prescription for a small number of Percocet, other than that, nothing related to the surgery.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kimber291
on 7/7/14 5:20 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I'm through Humber and I left the hospital with nothing. They don't prescribe pain meds. I was told if I needed anything to take regular Tylenol....crushed :-{    I took it once and chose to suffer....There was no way HE** I was doing that again.....ICK!!!!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Karen M.
on 7/7/14 10:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

I went through Humber as well - they will prescribe if necessary.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics