Dream job or dream surgery?

Amanda F.
on 7/7/14 12:53 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hi, I am a new member and I just received information last week that I have my orientation on July 14. 

Anyways, I just graduated College and have been applying for jobs since graduation. I just received a call back from a dream job at a dream company for a second interview. I am nervous because this is an amazing opportunity but I am in bad health. I really want this job, but I really want to get the surgery. With all of the upcoming appointments I am worried that I would need to book time off work from this potential new job. Oh and they told me that my first day of work would be July 14th! Figures. 

Can anyone give me any advice regarding appointment setting, is there anything available later in the day or weekends. The job would be 9-5 and I am a patient at Humber. 

Thanks

Robyn R.
on 7/7/14 1:32 am - Bowmanville, Canada
Only you can make the decision, but I will tell you in my experience with Humber, the SW that I saw was big on financial support for myself during the process along with coping mechanisms. See if Humber can put you in an earlier orientation so you can hear the good, the bad and the ugly of this procedure. Tell them you would be starting a new job on the 14th. Personally, when I was going through the process, I would book everything on the same day so I only missed one day of work. The bariatric clinic works 8-4 mon-fri I believe. all the best in your journey Robyn

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Amanda F.
on 7/7/14 1:45 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you Robyn

Swampy1976
on 7/7/14 1:38 am - Marmora, Canada

Welcome to the site😀 

congratulations on your graduation and your chance at a dream job!! I have to admit I would call the centre and explain the new job and change my orientation. The other appointments could then be put after your 3 months is up at your new job. Also the other appointments can often be compiled on the same day so your not having to be off as often. In most case the special test will be spread out over quite a few months. Eventually (after your job probation period) tell them you will be having surgery(not necessarily what for) then they will have to be understanding of the odd day off. Just my opinion, good luck🌟

Amanda F.
on 7/7/14 1:43 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thanks!

So I just got off the phone and there is a new start date for the job so I can go to the orientation! So that is good. 2 the job is a "temp" contract for 1 year but they said most likely extended for 2-3 years. I am just worried that if I have appointments and possible surgery than that they would let me go because they could get another "temp" easily. I know having a temp job is not my dream, its the position itself that is the dream :) 

Karen M.
on 7/7/14 3:51 am - Mississauga, Canada

Don't think of it as a "temp" job - it's a contract position with the possibility of extension. This is the reality for most people these days. It sounds like things are coming together for you - fabulous!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Laurie C.
on 7/7/14 1:40 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

if you call maybe they can get you in on an earlier date and then make your appts on the same day, can be tricky but can be done.  the appts would probably be 2-3 months away so by then a "personal day" shouldn't be such a big deal.

remember these wheels usually turn fairly slowly so you should have lots of time.

Congrats on the job, it's important to keep all aspects of your life in order.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Amanda F.
on 7/7/14 1:44 am - Oshawa, Canada

Thank you!

I think its just all the nerves from everything happening all at once! 

libra1
on 7/7/14 2:18 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

How exciting that all of these wonderful things are coming your way. I say--ride the wave!! One year at your dream job is better than no years. Sounds like anytime spent at this job is a terrific opportunity and great for your CV.  I wish you all the best on both your job and WLS.

Valerie G.
on 7/7/14 3:16 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I was in the same dilemma many years ago.  I put off my surgery 6 months, thus getting the chance to prove myself before I asked for time off.  It worked out very well for me, and I got both of what I wanted just by being patient.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics