Blood pressure problems

new_me180
on 7/9/14 5:26 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well i've been having terrible headaches and dizziness for a couple of weeks now so, i went to my GP. I found out i was having orthostatic hypotension. So every time i stand up i get really dizzy. My BP is normal in the 120's but, it does drop when i stand up. He told me to  increase my salt and to drink some G2 or dilute some juice instead of drinking waster all the time or enhancers. I currently drink about 4 litres and he was concerned that was too much water. Anyone out there had trouble with BP after bypass and how did you manage to fix the problem?

Also, do i call Guelph and let them know that my GP wants me to change some parts of my diet? The juice part and increased sodium is what he said to increase. Thanks

Patm
on 7/9/14 5:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I would talk to your clinic. I had this as well. I rarely get it now unless dehydrated. Also sitting with your feet up makes it worse. So if you are sitting with your feet up put them down a few minutes before you start to stand up.

new_me180
on 7/9/14 6:48 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Yeah i'm not sure what could be causing this. I had some blood work a few weeks ago and it showed increased levels of inflammation. I think it's something a little more than just fluid imbalance going on. I barely sit with my feet up and never lay down during the day. It never happens from lying to  standing, only sitting to standing.

Catw
on 7/9/14 5:47 am - Arnprior, Canada

I have had times where I get light headed.  If I get up too fast, or when I was at the gym I'd do it.  I'd have to stop and let things settle then I could keep going on.  When I mentioned this to the nurse in Ottawa, she suggested that I might need some G2 to put back some of the electrolites.  As long as it's not the only thing you're drinking, it should be fine once in a while.  It doesn't happen to me as often now.  Just try to stand up slower, let your body adjust.  If you are laying down, sit for a minute and then get up slowly.

I wouldn't go for the juice, especially if it's salt they are suggesting.  Before adding salt, see how much you are consuming now, then contact your dietician and see what she suggests.

Cathy

new_me180
on 7/9/14 6:59 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Cathy. Yeah the doc suggested it was and electrolyte issue as well. But that didn't explain my headaches. He did order some bloodworm as well to see what's going on. I may try some G2 and see how that goes.

kathie1212
on 7/9/14 1:36 pm - Stoney Creek , Canada

blood pressure issues are often accompanied by headache:)

new_me180
on 7/9/14 1:50 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I forgot to mention i have a history of intracranial hypertension. I've maintained normal BP during the worst headaches and never had any dizziness or lightheadedness then either. While my eye doc says the pressure behind my topic nerves has gone down, i'm not sure about all the other stuff going on.

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/9/14 5:49 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I have been having problems on and off since I had surgery in March 2013. I have the dizziness when I stand up and occassionally get headaches. I did ask back in December at my 9 month post-op appointment and was told because we lose so much weight so quickly, it effects our BP. I was told to keep an eye on it. But, I do find that it comes and goes, so, have never really asked anyone about it again. I was at my family doc for something else recently and the nurse said it was low and I told her about it. She said I should ask my doctor, but, I forgot and didn't really want to go back just for this. If it gets worse I will though...thank you for sharing about diluting juice/having more salt...I may try that to see if it helps. It has been slightly worse the last couple of weeks and I was considering calling my doctor. It is the whole coming and going that makes me hesitate....

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

new_me180
on 7/9/14 7:04 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

That makes sense about rapid weight loss. I too will try to drink some low cal or diluted juice and see how that goes. My BP is usually good and in the 110-120s. It just dips when i get up apparently. Very worrying when i get up. Just hope not to pass out.

Karen M.
on 7/9/14 8:51 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, me, but not after bypass, due to illness. Yes to the salt, and continue with the water intake. It can take awhile to get it regulated. I've been taking Midodrine (sp?) to deal with this.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics