How can this be?

new_me180
on 7/11/14 3:34 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

OK, i'm confused. I haven't been feeling well and after the GP did some tests informed me that I was dehydrated. I would understand this if i was not drinking enough but, I currently drink 4 litres of water/enhancers some days up to 5 litres. Add to that some milk as well. I don't drink anything that contains caffeine and i'm always constantly sipping water even when i go to bed. The doctor explained to me that the water i'm drinking while good for me, it is though not staying in the body since it doesn't contain any salts or anything like that but instead just getting flushed out and to drink more diluted juice and G2. I think i explained that right. I could be just my body having issues with this or i could have underlying issues but, i've never heard of someone drinking as much as i do getting dehydrated.

sellarsgal
on 7/11/14 4:02 am - Oshawa, Canada

That's a lot of water!! It's probably flushing out all the electrolytes and potassium in your body as well. Hopefully switching a few drinks a day to G2, Powerade Zero, and juice, 1/3 juice + 2/3 water, you should start to feel better! 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

new_me180
on 7/11/14 4:18 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Yeah maybe i can afford to cut back on some of the water. Problem is i hate everything else too, arrggg!!!

Karen M.
on 7/11/14 4:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

That IS a lot of water, you're right. I don't have an explanation for you unfortunately. I do know that when I've been dehydrated water alone didn't do it for me either - I needed the electrolytes from drinks like G2 to overcome it.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

new_me180
on 7/11/14 4:21 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I figured since i exercise a lot, i would stay hydrated by drinking enough water. I guess the amount of water didn't compensate for the sweat and salt i was losing. Sucks to be me.

Robyn R.
on 7/11/14 5:58 am - Bowmanville, Canada
I would try cutting back on your total fluid intake altogether. Maybe only 2L of water with another 1L of other stuff. I'm not big on the G2 or fruit juices for other issues but I do know that you can drink too much water, even in the healthy population.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

new_me180
on 7/11/14 8:04 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I will try cutting back on the water. Funny thing, before surgery, i never drank water but once a month now, i can't seem to stop, lol. 

Almostthere1966
on 7/11/14 6:00 am - Canada

Hi New me

Don know if your doctor belives in the old system but we used to have an in take out put record deal. So you keep track of all fluids in and all fluids out through ( polite term here) wee wee. It used to be done with what was called a nuns hat.. Since water is a complete clear product it is going right through you and flushing out potassium and salt and natural products needed by your body maybe?

Kathy

new_me180
on 7/11/14 8:08 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I think that's exactly what is happening, too much water flushing the salts outs but with me, I have Intracranial hypertension which is also causing a lot of headaches. Now the doctor wants me to take lasix to get rid of the cranial pressure, which will cause further volume depletion.

Karen M.
on 7/11/14 8:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

If you end up on Lasix, be sure to take a potassium pill with it - it depletes it like nobody's business.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics