Going state side after my WLS

Crystal82
on 7/24/14 11:56 am, edited 7/24/14 11:57 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

Well I had a hilarious experience yesterday while going through customs at the US border (Rainbow Bridge).

A little background.....

I had my GBP on January 6th and had to and had time to renew my passport while I was off work following surgery. So the photo that  was taken was post op but I would have only been down maybe 30 lbs (soo apx. 259 lbs). Well I am now 181 lbs and me and my sister joked they may not believe it was me lol.

So after a bit of a wait. We pull up to the booth and the guy takes our passports looks at all three, we have the usual chater then the border agent says to me "now Crystal, no disrespect but can I ask you a question?" I say "of course" he says "how mush weight have you lost? " I say "almost a 110 lbs" him "wow! That's great! Can I ask you ur secret?" me "gastric bypass". Him "oh, well good job" I had to also provide other forms of ID (all of which I am at top weight in. He said that he had to  ask because the difference was extreme and the passport was very "new". He didn't blink an eye at the mention of gastric bypass. My sister says it's because he is American and it is very common over there. Who knows but we had a good laugh. 

Expected the Same thing on the way back with the Canadian border agent but not even a word was mentioned. ....are we Canadians to "nice" to ask or mention anything about a woman's weight? Lmao

Anyways thought I would share 

Surgery January 6, 2014!

Linsie
on 7/24/14 9:19 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

That is hilarious!! I'm only down about 50lbs since my picture was taken, and it still pretty much looks like me lol I'm going to the states next weekend (flying out of Detroit is MUCH cheaper to go to some places lol). And you know...when I renewed my passport, this March (surgery was in May), I thought "hmm...should I get the 10 year passport knowing i'll probably look much different". But then again, who doesn't look totally different 10 years later! so to save money, I went for it. Love your story! and you're totally right, we Canadian's don't ask about weight LOL

Patm
on 7/25/14 1:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This is why I got a new passport a year ahead of time. I did not in any way look like my picture. I was going on a cruise and going through customs a few times. Did not want any headaches.

Karen M.
on 7/25/14 1:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

I had a rather large headache several years back travelling with my son to the Dominican Republic. They questioned not only me, but my son as well (Is this your mama? Are you sure? Where is your daddy? Not with you?) Thankfully I had a notarized letter from my ex-husband giving his permission to take Jesse out of the country. And my son was able to confidently declare me as his mom. LOL 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mary A.
on 7/30/14 2:17 am

that's wonderful and makes us feel like a totally new person, I had the very same thing happen, but for me it was a female customs border officer, and although I had crossed the USA/Canada border dozens and dozens of times I think it took a female to actually have the courage (if that is the right word) to ask the very same questions you were asked.

I think in this day and age with harassment suits and lawsuits they have to be very careful of how they approach their line of questioning.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics