Has my weight loss stopped?

kayakgirl
on 8/12/14 10:04 pm - Canada

I had my RNY on November 25 (almost 9 months ago) and have lost 80 pounds; down from 260 pounds pre-surgery. This last month or so my weight loss has slowed down a lot. It seems like I've been hovering around 180 for quite a while. I'm hoping to end up around 160. Do you think I'll make it? (BTW, I'm loving 180!!!!)

Thanks,

Jennifer

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Karen M.
on 8/12/14 10:12 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You're not even a year post-op yet. Why would you think that your body is finished losing? If you feel you only have 20 pounds left to lose I can pretty much guarantee you those last 20 will be the most difficult (and stubborn) to get off.

I was into my third year post-op before I truly stopped losing and had lost 160 pounds (started at 290, third year post-op was 130). At 8.5 years post-op I weigh 120. It is never too late to keep losing. At only 9 months post-op eating mindfully and on plan will encourage your body to continue losing to where it feels comfortable.

In reality, you've pretty much got the rest of your life (if needed) to get to the goal you've set for yourself.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kayakgirl
on 8/12/14 11:34 pm - Canada

Thanks, Karen. 

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

kellybelly333
on 8/12/14 11:10 pm - Toronto, Canada

To add to what Karen said, I stopped at 9 months, and then slowly lost for the next four months to my goal. I sat there for another 9 months and got a few more off (I wanted to be under goal) around two years. You are still malabsorbing, and if you keep eating mindfully and protein first, you will continue to lose. This is the time where you need to stay focused, as eating is going to get easier and you can fit more in, at the same time malabsorption slows down (and is usually done by two years....some as early as one year, most by 18 months). 

You haven't mentioned exercise. If you have a routine, maybe change it up? 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

kayakgirl
on 8/12/14 11:32 pm - Canada

Thanks for your response. I hike, kayak, and cycle a total of 4 times per week. Other days I'm out walking with my dog. I sometimes suddenly feel weak when out exercising and am trying to figure out how to time carbs and protein with my physical activity so that I can be even more active. Also sometime soon I'd like to add weight training but have to figure this out as I do not want to join a gym (I prefer the great outdoors for my workouts).

Karen M.
on 8/12/14 11:33 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Question: How do you know if you have stopped malabsorbing? I don't think I know (understand) (remember?) the sciencey-testing-procedure, though I am interested in knowing that about my body.

Karen

kellybelly333
on 8/13/14 1:26 am - Toronto, Canada

I asked that at TWH, and they didn't have a real answer. They generally see that weight loss stops by 2 years (perhaps with minimal work?). They did say that it's different for everyone, earlier for some, and later for others (not many), but usually kaput at the two year mark...which is why a lot of people who weren't following the program, and having a blast still losing while eating crap have a sudden gain. And then they start wondering if the surgery didn't work for them, because they thought it was for life.

I do wonder if having any surgery on your bowels or abdomen affects and re-starts malabsorption for a time (like in a bowel obstruction where part of the bowel had to be removed). Also, the miracle of bypassing the ghrelin goes away after awhile. It's crazy, and can be so disappointing when reality sets back in!

That is how it was explained to me anyway.  Oh, I had a friend who swore that she stopped malabsorbing by two years when all of a sudden her poop changed. I wondered if that's when mine stopped at 18 months because I went from a really great ummm daily ritual, to awful...suddenly, without changes to diet or exercise. Who knows? It's all a mystery!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 8/13/14 1:37 am - Mississauga, Canada

I asked only because I am interested in the science of it. My next research project :)

Karen

bonefish
on 8/13/14 2:59 am

Here is what I've learned :)

I believe the most current belief is that there isn't actually malabsorption of macronutrients - this is the 'old school' description of WLS.  The exception would of course be duodenal switch. They refer to them as 'metabolic' surgeries now due to the hormone changes that happen. 

The stopping of weight loss is related to hormone changes that slow down metabolism.  As we lose weight, metabolism revs down significantly. Where intake matches output, we hit the plateau. Without starving yourself there's only so low your intake can comfortably be.  For most people this happens at around 25-30% total body weight lost (in other words a 300 lb person typically loses about 100 lbs). Some people are more, some are less, but it's strongly linked to genetics and not really within a person's control. 

Karen M.
on 8/13/14 4:52 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thank you for your science, much appreciated. I would like to read much more - any suggestions?

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics