Having a bad day

Blueiiis
on 9/6/14 3:06 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

This is hard to write, as I try to keep a most positive outlook on life as I can.  However, today I am totally bummed.  I will be 4 weeks post op in Minday, and for the last week I lost 1 lb and when I weighed this morning I have gained 3lbs.  3 lbs!! WTF!! I am only hitting 40-50g of protein a day, I try to get that last shake in but I can't physically do it.  I am drinking water, and walking. I even went to the gym and cycled 3.5km then walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes.... And I end up gaining 3lbs!! I realize that stalls etc are normal... But when it actually happens to you it is really upsetting.  What am I doing wrong? Someone please tell me it will get better.... I hope I didn't go through all of this for nothing! 

Zizzler
on 9/6/14 3:33 am

I think it is normal to feel frustrated this early out, your body is just freaking out in so many ways and just needs time to heal.  You seem to be doing the right things - for protein try getting some unflavoured from the bulk barn and add it to other foods to get your protein in.  Make sure you drink lots of water to stay hydrated. First week I lost 12 pounds, 2nd week not only did I not lose I gained 3 pounds! As of yesterday I was down 5 pounds, this morning up 1 pound.  I am trying not to weigh myself more than once a week so that I do not freak out, but I know it is tempting.  Try to keep busy with the exercise to get through the stall, I know it is so different when it happens to you. You will start losing again, just be patient and keep up those good activities.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Blueiiis
on 9/6/14 7:27 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you for your encouragement. You are right that I need to add that unflavoured protein to more foods.  

Zizzler
on 9/6/14 10:27 am

here is an idea: take some unsweetened chocolate almond milk (almond breeze) and heat it up for a few minutes in the microwave, add 2.5 tbsp. whey protein powder from bulk barn using a little whisk.  I usually add sucralose to sweeten it a bit too if using plain whey.  It tastes just like hot chocolate only way better and you get 30g of protein.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Leanne1
on 9/7/14 12:16 pm - Newmarket, Canada

Another yummy recipe for high protein.. 

I like to take 1c plain greek yoguart, 1c cottage cheese, 1tsp vanilla extract and a packet of sweetner. Blend everything together until smooth. I portion it into 1/2c servings. You can eat it like this OR add some fruit to it 

Enjoy

;-)

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/14 4:27 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

From 4 to 7 weeks I had very little movement in weight also....your body is adjusting.  It is important to get your protein up though as  it helps healing.  I was told to go as close to 80 -90 post op to help healing then at 7 weeks they said I could lower it when all was healed and I could return to exercise.  I think it varies but more protein seems to help weight loss, and too little protein means your body will go into starving mode and hold onto fat and eat muscle.  Try to up you protein shakes it may help.

Good luck,

Kelly

Blueiiis
on 9/6/14 7:29 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Definitely have to work on getting my protein up.  Before surgery I had a plan about how to get the protein in, only to find out now that it is so hard for me to gag down protein shakes and the like.  I keep on trying though!

Coco2013
on 9/6/14 4:28 am

I know it is hard to do but relax and dont stress the numbers game.  Remember your a woman could it be monthly cycle gain?? Could it just be the heat and water weight. There are lots of things that make you go up and down.  I know I was up 2 lbs the other day but it was gone today.  Your just beginning you have plenty of time to loose just remember to drink eat and get your walking in.

Focus on what you are doing and what you have already lost not what you haven't lost yet because before you know it you will be near your goal and looking at that last 5 lbs you are stuggling with and not the # you have lost.  Find the good/positive parts of your day.

Cathy

Blueiiis
on 9/6/14 7:31 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Oh I try to find the positive.... But today for some reason the numbers really got to me.  I went for a long walk with my wee family to clear my head, feeling better now. 

Pegasus_AM
on 9/6/14 6:13 am

I'm not post-op so I don't truly understand what your going through but I still wanted to send words or encouragement. You have come so far to get to this point and from all the posts I have read you seem to be doing the right things. I don't believe it's all for nothing. Believe in yourself and your new tool and keep up the good work, I believe it will get better for you. I have read about a lot of people who seem to hit a stall around week 3-4, it seems like what your going through is normal, but I'm not going to presume to understand how difficult it must be to actually be going through it. All I can say is keep your chin up, keep doing what your doing and I believe the scale will start to move in the right direction again :-) 

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Most Active
Recent Topics