Incredible Pain 4 years out

John A.
on 11/14/14 8:51 pm - Cambridge, Canada

Last night I ate 5 or 6 spring rolls. I was full after 4 and DID eat a few more past being full. They were dipped in a honey garlic sauce.

I had a couple swallows of some sweet juice.. and was watching tv.  I was full but not uncomfortable, THEN a pain started to grip my chest.. right in the middle of my chest. I chewed a papaya enzyme and it started to go away. A couple minutes later the pain came back.. OMG I was writhing in pain, on the floor on my hands and knees, panting, tears running down my cheeks.  I thought I was having a heart attack, but wife (nurse) assured me the symptoms were not indicative to a heart attack. This was the most painful experience I've ever had (including surgeries and broken bones) It lasted about 5 excruciating minutes then started to let up and within a couple minutes was completely gone.  It felt like a gall bladder attack, only way worse. AND I had my gall bladder removed about a year after my RNY surgery.  In the previous week I noticed that I wasn't able to eat as much as normal. (maybe half the usual portion before getting uncomfortably full) NO big deal.. sometimes I can eat a lot other times just a very small meal but usually it's random, not lasting for several days of reduced ability to eat "normal" portions.

Although I feel perfectly fine now, This really scared me. Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of intense pain after eating AND being almost 5 years post surgery?

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/14/14 10:02 pm - Windsor, Canada

Sounds like you over did it.  Too much food in your pouch.  I've had painful moments that I over did it although they are pretty rare for me now.  Write down and document events like this and it will help you see patterns.  I had had one day where I had Mexican food about four years ago and I was nauseated and gaggy the next day.  I've had moments where I was writhing in pain on the couch because I Overate.  

If concerned talk to your doc. Many people have hernias etc long term out.  Could be related to something like that. Who knows. That's a good reason to write it down and bring it to your doc if it happens again 

dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

John A.
on 11/15/14 2:22 am - Cambridge, Canada

Thanks Dawn for your response.. That makes me feel a lot better. I've had situations where I ate too fast or ate really dry meat and it sorta got "stuck" It was uncomfortable/somewhat painful, usually relieved with some papaya, but nothing like this!. but you are probably right. Normally I stop when I'm full, normally just the idea of more food when I'm full is nauseating, but I popped these two "extra" spring rolls in and then had a drink (don't normally drink after eating) I'm guessing it was just the combination and caused this server pain.. Guess I have to keep listening to my stomach and STOP when I'm full

Thanks again for the advice

highlandbear
on 11/15/14 10:57 am - Canada

I am 5 years out and I will get that if I eat anything that is to sweet, deep fried or if I over eat. Because I don't like it when it happens I am very careful and make sure I know what I am eating. If it does happen I find lying on the bed curl up in a tight ball helps me a little. I do cry with it if it is real bad. 

Next time you think about over doing it just remember what happen and it will keep you on track. 

moemurray
on 11/16/14 10:54 am - Canada

Hey John

I was just on OH posting about our meeting next week and noticed your post. Hope you are feeling better now!

Morgan

Sciencegeek
on 11/17/14 12:16 am

Yes that happened to me 4 years out. It was right in my solarplex. Sooooo painful and it has only happened once.

Most Active
Recent Topics