Foaming Detective work

charminglearner
on 12/5/14 9:49 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Hi folks,

I had RNY surgery five and a half weeks ago.  I am supposed to be trying regular foods now.  To be truthful I mostly just stick to protein shakes and water, with maybe one regular food meal a day, like banana and peanut butter, or a bit of chili.  

Last Monday I ate a bit of a chicken leg for the first time.  I had tolerated rotisserie chicken breast before on a couple of occasions, so did not think too carefully about the dark meat..  I was foaming and vomiting for over two hours.  I walked around like a prisoner with my hands over my head, took papaya enzyme, and prayed this would pass.  A wonderful woman from my local support group helped me get through it.  Thought, well, no chicken leg for me!  Told my teenage son I needed to be more mindful to reassure him, and he is worriedly reminding me when we do sit down to a meal together to be careful.  The dietitian said that since it was a rotisserie chicken I was not to eat any chicken cooked with the skin on and to avoid all rotisserie chicken.  She also said I should just experiment with food to find out what I can tolerate.  Like there is not way to avoid vomiting!

Then this Wednesday I had three bites (well chewed) of chicken breast in a soup.  I foamed and vomited for seven hours.  This time DH was home and horrified to see me go through this.  He is not so thrilled (nor am I) that the dietitian has no guidelines on how to avoid these episodes except to say keep trying several times before you give up on a food.  

I put myself back on full liquids.  I must be doing something wrong.  Advice would be appreciated.

The weird part is I have tolerated pork (ribs and roast) hamburger and roast beef.  I have had no problem with fish, even sashimi (raw fish).

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/14 11:07 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

My tastes keep rapidly changing, and things I didn't like 4 weeks out, I enjoy now, like eggs. Maybe just give up on chicken for a little bit. Even now when I eat chicken, I shred it into teeny tiny pieces, and practically ma**** into a spoonful of potatoes, or mashed veg so it is surrounded by soft foods and moisture.. I find it goes down easier, and doesn't feel dry at all. Not much help, but maybe chicken is just going to be one of the foods you can't tolerate for some time... Good luck.

Zizzler
on 12/5/14 11:26 am

Chicken is not the best for me either, neither are eggs.  Since this is the only food that makes you sick it seems clear that your body is telling you that it does not want chicken in it and your should listen to your body and not eat it for a good while. There are lots of other options out there, focus on those for now.  You are only 5 weeks out so take it easy, it will get easier.

Swampy1976
on 12/5/14 9:41 pm - Marmora, Canada

I had the same thing a few times but I'm now 5 months out and as long as I take small bites that are moist and chew really well it is ok. I know it scared my family to. In the 5 months I have done it 5 times 3 from chicken and once from scrambled eggs. Mid 3 months till mid 4 months were a little hard but it's a lot easier the last few weeks. Good luck on your journey!

1HealthyMomma
on 12/6/14 5:38 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

I do have this happen to me. Randomly with no rhyme or reason anything can make it happen. My family all get very scared everyone watching me eat and my husband asked if I'm ok at least 5 times during dinner. It only happens about once or twice a week. I was thinking and hoping that in time it will stop as it is very painful. The pain and foam only seem to last an hour or two for me. I couldn't imagine 7 hours you poor thing. I tolerate everything I have tried very well except bananas. I wi**** was one food or I could pin point what triggers it. I just chalk it up to an angry pouch. I wish you all the best.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

charminglearner
on 12/11/14 6:42 am
RNY on 10/27/14

I really appreciate your posts and support.  It's reassuring that things will improve.

Just scared myself, and the family.

Went back to full fluids, slowly moved to minced, (slider foods?) may try solid food again this evening or definitely by the weekend.

Most Active
Recent Topics