Sodium 2mg 0%
Potassium 155mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 16
Dietary Fiber 2.2g 9%
Sugars 6.0g
Protein 4.3g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 4%
Calcium 1% Iron 3%

Looks like a pretty healthy option to me.

Karen M.
on 12/21/14 11:18 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You are a new post-op. Your focus is protein. I don't see any. These are completely sugar and carb treats. How is that healthy - you tell me.

You have a window of time to use your tool to its fullest - there is nothing about the recipe you listed that will assist you in doing so.

My $0.02, you can disagree if you choose. Whatever you put in your mouth is your choice, I and other long-termers will continue to stress a protein-forward plan and point out nutritional misgivings that are posted here.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 11:31 pm, edited 12/21/14 11:33 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I know my focus is protein, and I , as mentioned, always fill up on that first. I get a minimum of 80 grams a day. At 6grams of sugar per serving, these are pretty low sugar stats. The are not something I would ever consider a 'sugar treat' Yes, they have carbs, but not a drastic amount. I am just voicing that I do absolutely feel they are a healthy alternative to have as the occasional treat.

I get and agree with your protein forward' plan, and when did it become decided this wasn't what I follow? I eat my protein. I just am not going to eliminate carbs. I aim to stay below 50grams of carbs per day. 

I don't disagree with you on the protein forward plan, and I agree this is my window of time to use my tool to the fullest. I believe I am. I am not going to go carb free. That's my choice, as long as I get in the required amount of protein first and foremost, which I do. And yes, my dietrician agrees I should not go carb free. But ultimately I made the choice to not eliminate carbs from my diet. I think I am doing very well.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 11:29 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

All fruit are full of sugar, not added sugar, but naturally occurring sugar.  I have Mott's unsweetened here at home and it's has 11 gram of sugar per little container.

There is nothing in those cookies that you should be eating.  Bananas and oats are usually only on plan the first few weeks as you are so restricted being on fluids and pureed.  As for what the dietitian says, they are legally bound to only preach the Canada Food Guide so of course they have to say that fruit and whole grains are on plan.  Read what successful people on here have to say about it and you will see that stuff like this is not on plan.  

You can do what you like as we all do but you were given good advice and you are a fairly new post op so you may want to listen.  If you eat your meat and veggies, you won't have room for even a portion of that cookie.  Trying to incorporate moderation so soon out has almost always ended up in long term issues with food and regain.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 11:44 pm, edited 12/21/14 11:46 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

That little container is one cup, the recipe only calls for 1/3 a cup of that. Hardly anything to call high sugar' and many post ops use bananas throughout, in their shakes ect. I have never heard that bananas are only on plan the first few weeks. My mother and sister also had RNY, years ago, and are both very successful, have not had any regain. They have never eliminated carbs or bananas.

Please don't tell me that because I choose to make a 90 calorie' 2 grams of fat, 6 grams of sugar occasional treat, that I would likely not even eat half of )  that I will 'almost always' end up with long term food issues, and regain. That's just not going to be the case for me. Its not fair to say that. I take this journey very seriously. I 100% DO stick to my plan. And sorry, but I value my dietitians advice.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 11:47 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Between the 3 people commenting about your choices we have 25 years of accumulated experience but at 7-8 weeks post, you must know more than we do.  And your 90 calorie treat is no different than the 100 calorie treats that we have seen so many use and then have problems with later on down the road.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/14 11:51 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I didn't say I know more than you do, I am simply stating I do get in my protein, and I don't think they are unhealthy. I'll always speak my mind, that's just who I am. Looks like you are the same way.

Karen M.
on 12/22/14 12:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

Speaking your mind is excellent. Accepting advice and possible correction from those with extensive experience and knowledge is extra-excellent.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/14 8:16 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I did accept it, I just don't agree with it. These are a healthy option, and I don't see one thing wrong with enjoying them on occasion. 

Plus, didn't you just provide a peanut butter cookie recipe and say 'everything in moderation, it's ok to treat ourselves' to a woman who had surgery a week prior to me? Peanut butter has carbs and even light peanut butter is way higher in fat than this recipe. Just trying to understand why my recipe gets blasted, and I'm being told how my choices will lead to regain.

I take my plan very seriously, and this was a life changing choice for me, so while I listen, accept, and appreciate vets advice, I ultimately will decide if I will completely cut out carbs or not. And I won't do it. I'm OK with this choice I've made. And as said, I'm following my plan to the tee' and getting in my daily required protein. I know I'll succeed. Oat cookie and all' 

Most Active
Recent Topics