Measuring foods

Can_Lil_Saint
on 12/31/14 1:24 am - Georgetown, Canada

Hello All!  HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

I am officially 1 month post op and I get to graduate to soft foods!  Now that I am moving on, some foods have a shape to them like my mini babybel and cheesestrings.

My question is, how do I measure my foods?  When I was on liquids and pureed, a third of a cup was a third of a cup.  

As you guys know I don't have the vomiting when full or the pain of overeating so I am relying on the measurements to help me from stretching my tiny tummy.

Thanks for the help (again) LOL

Solstice
on 12/31/14 9:06 am
RNY on 11/27/14

I am one month out as well. I am going through Guelph.  I am using their food guidelines, and use a scale, as they list grams with most foods. Weighing bread especially is important. The unit of measurement I use most is grams. I got a small electronic scale from Amazon, but most large stores have them between $10 and 20. Weighing is so much more accurate than using a measuring cup--if its not a liquid.

Leanne1
on 1/1/15 5:33 am - Newmarket, Canada

I have a scale as well as measuring cups. I am just shy of 4.5 yrs post-op and still se it to check my measurements.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

highlandbear
on 1/1/15 9:04 am - Canada

I am 5 years out and I use a scale and I read labels. For bread it will tell me how many calories for two pieces of bread.  Things like chicken legs I have gotten to know but every so often I do check to make sure I am right. I use measuring cups for vegetables and well I don't do potatoes. I put a few teaspoons on my plate but just don' t eat them. It will become a habit to measure and read the labels 

Pegasus_AM
on 1/3/15 3:31 am

I'm pre-op but have tried to start getting into the habit of measuring and weighting out my food now. I bought an electronic kitchen scale from Canadian Tire for 12.99+tax. I weight everything that can't be measure by Tablespoons, Teaspoons or Milliliters. Hopefully this is helpful :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Onward and
Downward

on 1/3/15 5:44 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Good for you for getting into this habit now. I still measure my foods much of the time. My kitchen is set up so that the food scale is right on the counter for easy access all the time, and my measuring cups and spoons are right in the top drawer of the counter where I prepare my lunches and snacks for work. 

Can't help you with the measurements for your stage since I don't remember now, but I just wanted to say good on you for paying attention to this.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics