A question about gas...

Swell
on 12/29/14 10:39 pm - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

So my husband is doing the supportive husband thing and reading the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies book, and he just came across the section on gas, and how farting will be a frequent issue, and very foul smelling. Needless to say, he's concerned --not just for himself but also since I'm a teacher and he thinks it might be an embarrassing issue for me, especially if it's loud (I have to admit that it worries me too--teenagers get distracted easily ).

So, my questions are: Do you "toot" a lot more since surgery? Is it uncontrollable? Loud? Really foul smelling?

Thanks!

kellybelly333
on 12/29/14 10:51 pm - Toronto, Canada

I probably toot just as much as I did before surgery. LOL. A different odor, and can be quite foul if I have over-indulged on carbs, which isn't often, so I don't have that problem at all really. I wouldn't worry about it. In the beginning the issue I had with gas (as many do) is getting it to move. Water and GasX were my friends. Good luck!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 12/29/14 11:24 pm - Arnprior, Canada

If you haven't started opti, you'll find out why some say "never trust a fart".  Just warning if you are doing Opti during term.  I do have a bit more gas than I did pre-WLS but the odor and frequency are completely controlled by your diet.  You'll discover what things cause more gas than others.  For me, onion, garlic, beans (i.e. chili), broccoli are some triggers.  For me onion is the worst for smell.

As for the teenagers, just excuse yourself and keep going.  Farting is a natural bodily function.  If you want, post a Shrek picture in the room with his famous saying "Better out than in, I always say".  They'll figure it out soon enough :)

Cathy

Swell
on 12/30/14 7:51 am - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh, that's good to know! I was a little worried there. And I may have to take up that suggestion about the Shrek poster :)

So far, I've been on Opti for 9 days, and I haven't had any gas at all, and no real constipation or diarrhea issues. Luckily my Opti will only be during the Christmas holiday break, and then surgery next Monday, so no worries of embarassment (for now) in front of my students! 

White Dove
on 12/31/14 10:20 pm - Warren, OH

A lot of the terrible gas issues are caused by sugar alcohols.  I was and am a sweet eater and bought candies, cookies, etc. made good tasting with ingredients like sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol.  Those ingredients caused my gas and diarrhea problems.

Another culprit was the chewable vitamins for bariatric patients.  You can avoid most of the issue by just not using sugar alcohols.  Unjury sells chewable bariatric vitamins with no sugar alcohols.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics