Question

awesome0118
on 1/4/15 12:36 am - Canada

My surgery is this month and I am wondering if Surgeon or Nurses can give out information to family members on what you are having done.  My family do not know what I am having done because it is my business and they are very judgmental so I have no support system.  I am wondering if they call or visit any information can be given out. 

Seyenna
on 1/4/15 1:02 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I made a very elaborate lie for my family who is also horribly judgmental. I explained that I had ulcers from H Pylori (she saw me pick up the meds for it, which helped!, and it IS a side effect..). Maybe you could do something similar? I also told her that my doctor put me on meds for thyroid which will help explain the weight loss.

Best of luck!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

awesome0118
on 1/4/15 1:14 am - Canada

Glad you know what I am going through.  Did they know you were having any surgery and if so how did you explain that.  I told one sister I was having surgery but didnt divulge much told her it was nothing to be concerned with.  Next thing I knew everyone knew including cousins I dont even know well.  Was bondarded all weekend with question people assuming I have cancer which left me so upset I feel like changing the date.  

What are meds for H Pylori and meds for thyroid

I hope Surgeon and Nurses will respect my privacy.

Seyenna
on 1/4/15 1:36 am - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I'm actually sort of embarrassed at how well my lie went, but my family are VERY judgemental. Hell, everyone and their mom/sister/friend/neighbour knew about my "ulcer" surgery within days even though I asked her to keep it private. My mom is sort of a jerk like that. I work from home so no need to lie to co-workers, and I really don't have many friends. 

I would google everything carefully, and then just tell them that you're not comfortable discussing your health issues with people if they want too many details.

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

awesome0118
on 1/4/15 1:53 am - Canada

Thanks for the advice

Pegasus_AM
on 1/4/15 3:33 am

Medical Information is suppose to be private and confidential and not released to anybody without your permission. I suggest you tell the surgeon and hospital staff that you don't want any medical information given out to anyone with your expressed consent. You can tell them that when you go into the hospital for your surgery.

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

L_monster
on 1/4/15 3:47 am

Most hospitals have a pin number that the family have to quote when requesting information on that family member. Or they have to get your verbal permission to give out that information. Make sure you let the nurses know you don't want any info given out.

White Dove
on 1/4/15 3:57 am - Warren, OH

My family knew that I was having RNY and when.  The surgeon called one with a cancellation and asked if I wanted to have surgery done the next week.  I did that and did not tell my family until I was back home.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pegawatt
on 1/4/15 5:08 am - Canada

Even if my family were not supportive they kept their feelings to there self I SAID WHO DEFORMS THEIR INSIDES FOR AN EASY WAY OUT AND NO ONE DISAGREED. I TELL EVERYONE WHO ASKS I'VE DONE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF.

Most Active
Recent Topics