What can you do to get Plastics covered by medical?

saravmf
on 1/6/15 4:31 pm - Canada

I'm actually from BC, but thought I'd try here since it's more active. I am wondering what I can possibly do to get some plastic surgery covered. I got a referral from my GP to a surgeon, who took pictures and just casually said, "they won't cover any tummy tuck/LBL after WLS". He did say that he doesn't do that procedure, and have me the number of someone who does, but said I would have to pay around 15k. On the good side, I AM getting a breast reduction, even though they are pretty much deflated at this point. I'm hoping the reduction is going to be more of a lift, since I don't want to go much smaller than a C. I have no idea what size I am now, since I'm still using my old bras, just swimming in them, but a DD was tight preoperative.

So, was he right? Is there no cir****tance that I can get anything else done? I have tried documenting with my GP the issues I've had with an ever present odor coming from my belly button, especially since gall bladder surgery which went through the belly button. Also, my bum has completely fallen down to my thighs and I'm getting bad tail bone pain while sitting, dry itchy skin above that area, and the pain of the bum giggle when I run. I've been told to document any rashes, but haven't had any so far. Does anyone have any advice for what my next step could be? I'm still early out from surgery (will be a year next month), but I know wait times are lengthy, so I'd love to start the process. Thanks in advance! 

HW:334PreopW:304SW:276CW:195 Mth1:24 Mth2:15 Mth3:12 Mth4:10 Mth5:10 Mth6:5 Mth7:10 Mth8:4 Mth9:6 Mth10:7 Mth 11:4

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/15 6:06 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Each province has their own things that are covered. In Ontario, the only things that might be covered are panniculectomy ( the skin removal only of the stomach) and breast reduction.  Here, only some surgeons will work with OHIP to apply and get it covered.  There is criteria that must be met to have it covered that is why it's always it may be covered.  No idea what your province covers or doesn't cover but if they do cover any skin removal, you'd need to find a plastic surgeon that is willing to work with your health care out there as only a handful work with ours here especially for the panniculectomy portion.  Most PS seem to be on board with doing breast reductions but only a handful will do the other as they say it's too much work to apply for the small amount they make.  Might be the same in your province.  You could always call a few plastic surgeons in your area to ask if they work with BC Insurance or whatever it is called there to have any plastics covered then get a referral to a surgeon that will help to get the paperwork going.

Most Active
Recent Topics