Home from surgery!

Swell
on 1/8/15 7:21 am - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

I had my surgery on Monday, and I'm finally home! I was released yesterday, but the weather closed the highway and forced us to stay at my parent's house for the night, but at least we're home now. 

The days are getting easier, but I have to say, I wasn't prepared for how awful the gas pains would be for the first few days. I was in a lot of pain the first day, but then each day a little less. I'm finding the sipping and vitamins and meds to be a full time job though. I'm sipping my 30 mls of liquids out of the little medicine cups every 15 minutes, and finding it really hard to get down everything they say, because constantly feel full. I've only had 1 protein shake today and it took me almost all day to drink. 

So  have some questions for you veterans...

How long did you have to keep following the 15 minutes/medicine cup guideline? I feel like if I don't, I might drink too fast and will stretch my pouch.

Is it normal to be able to only fit less than the 2 protein shakes a day in? I see the list of other full fluids I can have, but I have no idea how I would ever get to those after fitting in the 2 shakes.

How long until you felt like yourself again?

Thanks!

msmuggins
on 1/8/15 9:53 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Swell!  I'm sorry we missed each other somehow.  I ended up in a private room at the end of a hall on the 9th floor of Fell Pavillion.  I was pretty drugged up for the first 2 days (the anaesthesia did a number on me). I was out walking a lot on the third day but I guess you were gone by then.  I wish you a fast recovery!  I'm also having trouble getting much down. I had plenty of water today but only about 1/4 cup of a protein shake and about 1/8 cup of soup.  I just don't want to take in too much because my belly still feels quite swollen. 

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/15 12:13 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Just sip as much as you can. I was told to not worry about protein for the first week, to more so worry about just getting in any fluids, and staying hydrated. I was not drinking protein shakes the first week. I was just sipping juice, tea, broth, so great that you are getting that protein in. I never did the 15 minute medicine cup thing once released from the hospital. 

For me, I had great days, and not so great days, but overall, I started to feel like myself with no bad days, around week 6-7. And now, at week 9.5, I don't even feel like I had surgery.

Sending you well wishes for a speedy recovery! 

Swell
on 1/8/15 7:29 pm - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Thanks ladies! You've been super helpful!

Now that I'm home, I'm finding that not pushing myself too hard is difficult. I've gotta just take this time to relax!

Karen M.
on 1/8/15 7:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome to the bench, Swell - rest up!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Swell
on 1/9/15 6:08 am - Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Thanks! So glad to be here!

Pegasus_AM
on 1/9/15 9:41 am

Congratulations on your spot on the bench :-) I'm still pre-op so I can't really comment but I'm wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Most Active
Recent Topics