FOR THE VETS-Excess skin, didn't really think it through

kathycantwait
on 1/11/15 10:52 pm - Canada
Hi all,
I had my surgery Nov 2013 and other then slow weight loss (I'm told I don't eat enough, but that's a different topic) and have lost just over 100 lbs, The excess skin looks horrible, my arms have wings and my stomach looks like a butt and I expected that, however there are areas I didn't even think of that has extra skin and it is causing severe discomfort this would be between the legs where the legs and torso join (My family Dr. is aware of this and the irritation under the skin on my stomach). So here are my questions,

1) Does anyone else have this problem or am I some kind of freak?

2) Is there anything you can do about this?

3) At what point do you consider skin removal surgery

4) how much more weight did you lose after having the excess skin removed?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Needanewbeginning
on 1/11/15 11:21 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I have to say I agree, the excess skin isn't very nice at all. Some come to terms with it which is fantastic. For me though, it was a big deal to get some of the excess taken care of. 

Some things I learned:

-be as close to your goal as possible and maintain it, not for a week, but several months.

-really think about what you want done and be realistic with what you think your results may end up like. (Not everyone has AMAZING results). 

-recovery can be long, painful and frustrating at times

-it's not cheap, but there are medical loans you could get if you haven't saved up a minimum of $$5300.00 just for one procedure. (My example of costs for a tummy tuck with muscle repair, lipo of flanks, mons repair with lipo was $5300.00. If my panniculectomy wasn't approved thru OHIP I would have had to add $1700 to that number. Next I am having my batwings done in March, that's another $5k. Would love to do my thighs like you mention, but I can wear shorts and skort style bathing suits to cover that area (yuck I hate mine as well).

They removed 7lbs during surgery, but I didn't see that on the scale right after, so much fluid retention from the iv's etc. I don't honestly plan on loosing more than another 10 lbs max. I am at my goal and truly feel amazing right where I am. 

From what I have researched, loosing more than 10-15 lbs (depending on the surgeries of course) you may need revisions to your plastics. 

I think the bottom line is, get to your goal, be comfortable with it, then do it, if its what you really want. Start the consults now though as it can take months to get into a consult and time to have the OHIP approvals done, then you wait for the surgery date 😁

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

PaulaToronto
on 1/12/15 7:08 am - Toronto, Canada

You are not a freak.  We all deal with skin issues post surgery.  How much and where it is located depends on where you carried the weight and where you lost it.  There is nothing you can do about it except plastics.  You can however deal with rashes, etc. by prescription meds and OTC creams.

Most plastic surgeons want you at your lowest weight and want you to have maintained that weight close to a year.  If you are still losing then it is too early to discuss plastics.

In the meantime wear compression garments like Spanx, etc. to hold skin in.

How much the skin weighs depends on how much fat is still attached to the skin.  The skin alone does not weigh much so don't expect huge loss with surgery.  For an abdominalplasty it is around  3 - 7 pounds .  Your surgeon will be able to tell you more accurately. 

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Mary A.
on 1/15/15 4:42 am
On January 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM Pacific Time, PaulaToronto wrote:

You are not a freak.  We all deal with skin issues post surgery.  How much and where it is located depends on where you carried the weight and where you lost it.  There is nothing you can do about it except plastics.  You can however deal with rashes, etc. by prescription meds and OTC creams.

Most plastic surgeons want you at your lowest weight and want you to have maintained that weight close to a year.  If you are still losing then it is too early to discuss plastics.

In the meantime wear compression garments like Spanx, etc. to hold skin in.

How much the skin weighs depends on how much fat is still attached to the skin.  The skin alone does not weigh much so don't expect huge loss with surgery.  For an abdominalplasty it is around  3 - 7 pounds .  Your surgeon will be able to tell you more accurately. 

skin rashes should always be diagnosed and recorded by your doctor, that will help in your case should you apply and be denies for any type of skin abdonimoplasty etc.  As you have to remember OHIP does not cover plastic surgery....it has to be strongly proven that the skin condtion especially if reoccuring and the excess kin hinders your quality of life. 

I was initially denied by OHIP because I chose to address my rash on my own with baby diaper cream (bad choice)....it needs to be documented by a physician especially if it's re-occurring.

Weight loss with skin removal ALL DEPENDS on the individual, how much skin is actually taken during the procedure...a heavier person with more skin folds would obviously have more lbs shed opposed to a person with 1/2 that amount

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Cant-wait14
on 1/12/15 10:44 am - Canada

I know someone who went to Mexico for the sleeve surgery and was very successful. When she lost all her weight she had a lot of extra skin and the skin folds would develop rashes and sores

It took 4 different doctors recommendations, but in the end OHIP agreed to cost share with her - she paid $2000 dollars or something like that with the bulk being paid by OHIP

Hope this helps

Iamangelin
on 1/12/15 11:05 pm - Orillia, Canada

I would love to know how your friend did it so I can use her notes if she's willing to share!

Most Active
Recent Topics