Gall Stones- but no symptoms

redviking
on 3/24/15 12:54 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

So waaaay back in the fall, I had what I suspected might be a gall bladder attack. It happened one time, it was terrible and I went to the Dr.  He was convinced there was no way it was gall bladder related, but sent me for an ultrasound to make me happy.  That was October.  Yesterday I got a letter from the Dr. office, telling me they were trying to get in touch but they didn't have a current phone number.  So I called them this morning.  Turns out, the ultrasound showed gall stones.  Super!  I haven't had any symptoms since then.  They are going to call me back to tell me what the Dr. wants me to do.  Is it possible to just live with them and not have them out? Anyone else know they have gall stones but no symptoms?

Sonja

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

LeslieT
on 3/24/15 1:05 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/22/15

In the preliminary testing, my ultrasound showed that I have gallstones. I have no symptoms. I don't know yet if they're going to do anything about it when I have my surgery. Sorry, probably not really helpful information.

Leslie

redviking
on 3/24/15 1:10 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Definitely ask your surgeon about it.  Don't wait for them to bring it up.  Strangely, I had no stones before my surgery, but a family history.  My surgeon thought about it but decided against it. Then 4 months after surgery they show up...how annoying. 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/15 4:09 pm

My surgeon would not take out the gall bladder at the same time, he said it's 2 major surgeries. He said since I have no symptoms, there is a good chance, 70%, that i'll never have symptoms!! I was also full of stones and no symps

Delicious_Delilah
on 3/24/15 1:24 am - Ottawa, Canada

I was diagnosed with gallstones while still in university. The gallstones were large enough that the doctor wasn't concerned that they would pose an immediate issue -- if too small they can migrate and cause blockages. I lived with them with very few issues for a decade, then they started causing regular attacks, and eventually did cause a blockage. That's when the doctor told me it had to come out and I had surgery. In my case, this was a few years before my gastric by-pass. 

Talk with your doctor to see if he recommends it comes out at this stage. Will depend if you get regular attacks. 

DD

kellybelly333
on 3/24/15 1:44 am - Toronto, Canada

Yep you can have stones and no issues. But you could get more stones with more weight loss. The pain is hideous. Mine turned from sludge to stones. Was glad I had it removed, because I never knew when an attack would come. It came twice after shrimp, but other than that it never seemed food related.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 3/24/15 2:28 am - Arnprior, Canada

It depends on the size they are.  Small stones are a problem, but big ones aren't.  You would think it was the opposite.  I had a gall bladder attack a few weeks after giving birth to my first son, then not again until a few weeks after my 2nd son.  The 2nd time I went to ER 2 days in a row, and they took it out.  If it`s not urgent, you could be put on a modified diet (low fat, bland) for a while.  Gallbladder issues are common after losing a lot of weight quickly.  Surgery is usually laparoscopic.  I went in Monday, in observation until 6pm Tuesday, back at ER at 9pm, was in surgery Thursday and out Saturday.  Small hospital, and I think that they didn`t want a repeat visit to ER for me.

As for your case, talk to your Doc, and your surgeon.

Cathy

Wesley T.
on 3/24/15 1:15 pm - Canada

I wouldn't be complacent about having gal stones or have your doctor (family?) think that it is not much of concern. I had for a long while what I thought was horrible heart burn, up my mid chest middle of my rib cage. Was like this for a long while.

Come November 2014 out of nowhere I have increasing discomfort in this mid chest area, go to the hospital ER and I have an ultra sound. The Doctor on call says to get in touch with my family doctor, get on the surgery list. This is considered an elective surgery. I am a strong person when it comes to pain.

After the attack subsides 2 incredibly painful attacks, double me over, and were talking "roll on the floor" here. I go into the ER and they can't give me morphine fast enough!

Turns out the first ER visit the lady doctor I had missed on the angiogram that my gal bladder 'had numerous stones' and hemorrhaging gal bladder sludge inside. Nice! The ER Surgeon then went in for Emergency surgery took it out. I was in the Hospital for 3 Night's after because of how concerned they were. I am just one example, but point being symptoms are subjective. I had high pain tolerance and thought something was coffee heart burn when it was ongoing attacks for months.

REFERRAL: FEB 14 ORIENTATION: AUG 22/14 SOCIAL WORKER: SEP 19/14 NURSE PRACTITIONER: OCT 22/14 PHARMACIST: OCT 23/14 

SURGEON APT: FEB 06/15 SURGERY DATE: APRIL 13/15 HW: 333 (Pre-Optifast) CW: 260.5

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/15 4:08 pm

Me too!!! Several gall stones and no symptoms......I had sleep apnea and no symptoms either!!!! Sheesh. My surgeon would not take out the gall bladder at the same time, he said it's 2 major surgeries. He said since I have no symptoms, there is a good chance, 70%, that i'll never have symptoms!!

Karen M.
on 3/24/15 9:08 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Rapid weight loss can often lead to the development of gallstones unfortunately. I had my gallbladder out almost exactly 2 years post-RNY. I would be concerned that while they're not causing you an issue now, the risk of attacks is always there with a gallbladder full of stones and the attacks are not something I would wish on anyone. I thought I was having a heart attack the first time it happened to me, the pain was so intense. Like, worse than childbirth intense. If it was me, I would be looking to get that sucker out before it started causing me serious problems.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics