Optifast - Constipation

annieliv
on 4/15/15 6:21 am - Toronto, Canada

I'm on day 15 of 21 Opti and for the 1st time, am feeling a little backed up.

I've taken Benefibre but....no movement. I'm drinking more than enough water, herbal tea, and clear broth.

Are there any other options we're allowed to use while on Opti - Senekot, Milk of Mag?

HW: 345 SW: 315 GW: 180 RNY 21/Apr/15

lammytee14
on 4/15/15 9:05 am

At the Ottawa clinic we were encouraged to take 2-3 metamucil capsules when we had our shakes. For the last few days of opti, you could do that.

As for what to take now, I'm sorry I'm not much help there...double check with your centre to be sure. I know the concern is not to take something that has many calories and throw off the state of ketosis.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Herecomeshealth
on 4/15/15 10:47 am

I used benefibre in my opti morning and bed followed by tea. I found I needed it twice a day. Now that I am post opt I find walking really helps. When I get up in the morning I wal****il I feel thing start moving. Was not smart enough to try that when I was at the opti stage. Good luck with this.

Monica9811
on 4/15/15 11:08 am - Peterborough, Canada

Senokot S is a wonder drug. Worked miracles for me. I took 3 before bed and in the morning things finally moved. Depending on how long it's been you may only need 2. Don't let it go any longer. It hurts like hell when you finally do go. I still occasionally take one when needed. Good luck. 

W8_No_More
on 4/15/15 12:35 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Definitely don't let it go any longer without intervention. That was the biggest issue I had and it carried on after surgery. I left it too close to my surgery date to take Senekot-S but I did use it after and it was a huge relief. Taking fiber supplements like Metamucil can make it worse if you're not drinking enough water so keep that up for sure.

Best of luck with it...I know it's miserable and all you can think about until it's resolved. I had my surgery Jan 27 and I'm still taking Colace every day until I can eat raw veggies etc. The nurse at my clinic said that was just fine.

Kim

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

annieliv
on 4/15/15 2:28 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thank you all for your replies and info. The last thing I need is to not get things moving before surgery on Tuesday.

It has only been a few days and I'll be taking action per the advice tomorrow!

Again thank you all!

cherg24
on 4/15/15 10:13 pm - Ontario, Canada

I'm a day behind you.  I feel your pain lol.  Good luck!

annieliv
on 4/20/15 5:43 am - Toronto, Canada

Just a quick follow up - Senekot S....awesome!

Most Active
Recent Topics